United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is supporting the
Government of Nigeria to
strengthen prevention of and response all forms
of violence against children. In particular, assistance will be
provided to strengthen the child protection system, including through
modelling the system in
four States, in order to demonstrate the impact
of a well-functioning child protection system, to develop a common
model for operationalizing the Child Rights Act at State level and to
develop standardized tools, including regulations, working protocols
and training manuals to govern the system.
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a
lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights
organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Education Specialist, Early Childhood
VN No.: VN-NGR-14 May 2015-53
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term-2 years
Qualifications and Competencies
- Advanced University Degree in one or more of the disciplines
relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education, or a
Social Science field relevant to International development
- Five years of progressively professional work experience at
national and international level in Field programes relevant to
Education programme. Experience working in UN or other international
development organisation an asset. Experience in national level
development assistance is an asset. Experience with addressing gender
disparities and asset
- Leadership in identifying encouraging and mentoring capable women.
- Knowledge of the global commitment on aid effectiveness,
including the Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness, the Accra Agenda
for Action as well as knowledge of the Global Programme Partnerships
- Knowledge of theories and practices in: Programme/project
management in Education, Monitoring and Evaluation, Training and
Capacity Development in Education, Alternative Basic Education,
Curriculum Development and Knowledge Management.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF Education programme.
- Advanced Technical Knowledge of theories, principles and methods
in one of the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economic,
Social Science, and/or related fields
- Gender and diversity awareness
Purpose of the Post
- To address issues of early childhood development, stimulation
and learning. The huge numbers of children out of school in Nigeria
especially in the northern part of Nigeria and parts of the southern
part have been attributed to late entries in school. Only about half of
the children expected to enter Early Childhood Development (ECD) are
actually enrolled in ECD centres. This has led to poor learning
outcomes, with low level of reading, especially at the early years of
- Specifically, the incumbent of the post will provide technical
support for effective programming and facilitate the development of
desired policy change in Early Childhood Care Education progmmmes
- Support programme planning , implementation, monitoring & evaluation of quality early childhood care Education programme
- Support the development of policy framework and advocacy at different programme implementation arena; and
- Ensure effective management and coordination of Partners for quality delivery of expected results
- Working with the Federal Ministry of Education and its relevant
parastatals, the holder of this job will focus on Early Childhood Care
Education concept development provision of enlarged technical support
for strategic and policy direction support to strategies development
generation and analysis of community level data to inform intervention
and evidence-based policy to enrich advocacy for increased support to
Early Childhood Care Education, in collaboration with Field Office teams
and other stakeholders that support the delivery of Early childhood
care education programmes.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their application,
accompanied by updated CV’s in English and a completed United Nations
Personal History Form.
Application should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org Candidate are advised to put the Job Title on the Subject line of their email.
Click here to download United Nations Personal History Form
Deadline 25th August, 2015.