Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Médecins Sans Frontières is recruiting for its project in Port Harcourt:
Job Title: Daily Worker Nurses (x5 positions)
- Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment .
- Organize and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, as well as assist them during consultations/ daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Ensure patients are properly received and settled in the health service. Ensures that patients with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Respect medical secrecy and confidentiality of patients’ information.
- Carry-out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification of emergency situation or any deterioration,
- Participate in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary
- Supervise and train nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision in their work with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and procedures and ensuring team work
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- For ER and OPD nurse, ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor.
- If applicable, identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and refer them to the medical team, so they can receive the necessary treatment.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Sends material to be sterilized and follows it up for return from sterilization.
- Protecting patients from hazards within the wards by ensuring the wards are safe and clear of such hazards at all times.
Required Skills and Conditions
- Education: Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s.
- Languages: English language is mandatory
- Competences: Able to work in an emergency situation
- Highly flexible with the working hours.
How to Apply
Submit your CV, copies of qualifications and a cover letter with contact details to the
MSF Administration Office
at No. 20 Bodo Street.
G.R.A Port Harcourt. Rivers State
(“Application Box” at the Watchmen Desk). With reference (daily worker Nurse PHC or Outreach Officer PHC )
Applications can be submitted in person or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for the submission of applications: 18th December 2015.
Please make sure to submit your application by this date.
NB: only successful applicants will be called for interview.
Notice: No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process. MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.