Vacancy for English Language Translator (Hausa to English) at Equal Access
Equal Access (EA) is an international not for profit organization
(501c3), headquartered in San Francisco and working throughout Asia,
Africa and the Middle East. A communications for social change
organization that combines the power of media with community
mobilization, Equal Access creates customized communications strategies
and outreach solutions that foster peace building and social cohesion,
women & girls’ empowerment, youth life skills & livelihoods,
human rights, health, as well as civic participation and good governance
in the developing world.
EA has launched AREWA24, a satellite TV project which can be viewed on
NILESAT 102, frequency 12226 focused on Hausa speakers in northern
Nigeria and seeks a Finance and Administration Officer to help support
the growth of AREWA24 and its Nigeria program.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: English Language Translator (Hausa to English)
- Engage actively in the correct interpretation of literary
meanings of terms or pronunciation of words for effective comprehension
by the audiences.
- Ensure speedy and timely translation of scripts within timeframe without compromising quality.
- Carry out any related assignment that might be given to them from time to time.
- English fluency as a language
- Excellent written English skills
- Position holder is expected to provide translation services of scripts or relevant video files for Hausa speaking audiences.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor
Experience, Qualification and Skills
- Ability to use computer based word processing programmes
- Previous work experience within structured work environment
- Ability to keep to timelines set for deliverables
- Excellent team player
- Three (3) or more years of script translation experience into the Hausa to English Language
- An education in Hausa/English language
- Excellent knowledge of Hausa and English languages
- Ability to translate phrases, terms and expressions in context (avoiding direct translations out of context)
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and deliver high quality written translation
- Ability to work with minimum or no supervision
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an English writing sample with CV to: email@example.com Title of position applied for should be clearly stated as subject of the email
Deadline: 4th February, 2016.