Medical x-ray technicians create x-ray images of parts of the human body using radiographic equipment, to assist in the diagnosis of medical problems. Medical x-ray technicians are often referred to as radiographers or radiologic technicians.
As an x-ray technician, you would be responsible for operating the medical equipment used to capture internal images of patients’ bodies.
- Adjust and maintain imaging equipment
- Operate the computerized equipment to take the images
Work with physicians to evaluate the images and to determine whether additional images need to be taken
Keep detailed patient records
- Precisely follow orders from physicians on what areas of the body to image
- Prepare patients for procedures, including taking a medical history and answering questions about the procedure
- Protect the patient by shielding exposed areas that do not need to be imaged
- Position the patient and the equipment in order to get the correct image