The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Stabilization Center Clinical Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Stabilization Center Manager’s primary responsibility is to ensure that the center is functioning properly, providing care of quality including medical diagnosis and treatment of the patients presenting medical complications.
- Ensures the respect and correct application of the treatment protocols.
- Under the direct supervision of the ERT Health and Nutrition Coordinator and reports to the overall Health and Nutrition Coordinator.
- All the personnel of the therapeutic feeding center. The supervisor needs to have a good overview and management capacity
Stabilization Center functions:
- Daily calculations of the quantity of food needed for the day based on the number of children present in Phase I and transition or refers the work to somebody who will calculate and he supervises him.
- Order the food for the SC in collaboration with the hospital dietician
- Order the drugs for the SC in collaboration with the pharmacist
- Manage the daily collection of the number of new admissions and exits and attendance from the registrar.
- Weekly checks and transmit the statistics to the ERT and nutrition coordinator.
- Give feed back to the team.
- Work in collaboration with ERT health and nutrition and the country nutrition coordinator to maximize and ensure quality operations and care
- Compiles monthly reports and submits to coordinators and hospital/state leadership
Therapeutic feeding functions:
- Checks the pharmacy: correct drug preparation, storage and stock balance etc..
- Checks food stock : food consumption and cleaning of the store
- Food distribution : works with hospital dietician to ensure meals distributed on time and respect of the quantity
- Food preparation : works with hospital dietician for corrects recipes and food preparation, cleaning of the kitchen.
- Maintains and supervises quality of medical care dispensed : drugs distribution, correct application of the medical protocols; clinical follow-up, rehydration, detection in times of the medical complications.
- Nutritional follow-up : correct measurements and follow-up of the weight and oedema.
- Individual cards and the attendance register book: correct filling
- Ensures and quality checks admission and exit: respect of the criteria
- Ensures and role-models respect for the dignity of the patients and their accompanying caretaker
- Resolution of problems occurring between the patients and the personnel
- Ensure that mothers are well informed about the functioning of the centre; the state and evolution of their child; their tasks (help in cleaning, feeding of the children etc.).
- Works with emergency health and nutrition manager to support transfers of complicated SAM cases
- Sets work schedule to include overnights shared with emergency health manager and hospital physicians
- Clinical examination of all patients with signs of complicated pathologies or presenting complication or refer by the nurses
- Prescription, management and follow-up of the severe and complicated cases in consultation with hospital physician
- Adaptation and change of specific medical treatment and differential diagnosis in partnership with hospital physician
- Authorizes and interprets rapid clinical laboratory
- Referral of patients to hospital and between hospital
- Training of hospital, IRC nurses on routing treatment prescriptions (theoretical and on the job training)
- Works in collaboration with the nurses to ensure medical care of quality
- Works as a member of the team, taking in consideration the non-medical problems encountered by the patients (feeding and psychosocial)
- Develop relationship with medical counterparts with hospital
- Points out the presence, the day-off and the absence of the staff, in collaboration with the administrator (if existing)
- Supervises management the working schedule with hospital management
- Plan and organizes the replacements of workers hospital management
- Respect the existing working rules and to be attentive to the working condition of the personnel.
- Distribute and delegates the work within the personnel according to their knowledge
- Conduct weekly meetings with the personnel and hospital management
- Organizes and delivers training course for the staff when necessary.
- Inform the coordinator in case of difficulties.
- High attention to details
- Experience working in a nutrition stabilization center
- Experience interacting and communicating with children under treatment and their caretaker
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and EPI-Info
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Ability to start immediately
- Completed Post-graduate Medical Degree and Nutrition Training
- Experience with nutrition and health programming
- Public Health Degree
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation
Specific Security Situation/Housing:
- The SC Clinical Manager will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country. The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 3 (orange). The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position. The SC Clinical Manager will live in shared housing.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Click here to apply online