Research Supervisor (Cassava Seed Health) at IITA
IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Cassava Seed Health)
Ref No: IITA-HR-NRS2016-041
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in the inspection surveys for cassava pest and disease incidence in the seed multiplication plots in the fields and under screenhouse conditions;
- Assist in collection of samples for health assessment and indexing;
- Assist in testing of field grown and in vitro cassava for pathogens (mainly viruses and bacteria) using ELISA, PCR, LAMP and other diagnostic methods;
- Assist in the selection of healthy planting material for propagation;
- Involves in organizing and monitoring of cassava seed degeneration trial;
- Assist in providing technical backstopping to seed quality inspections;
- Assist in collection and analyzing of field and laboratory data including preparation of quality technical reports.
- BSc/HND in Plant Science, Crop production, Agricultural Extension, Biochemistry, Breeding/Agronomy, or related disciplines with 2 years’ experience performing similar role.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Very good knowledge on plant pathology; theory and application of diagnostic methods (such as ELISA and PCR); vegetative propagation of crops; concepts of plant disease control; production of healthy planting material; and seed quality certification.
- Demonstrable supervisory experience (lab/field).
- Working experience (desired) on application of ELISA and PCR-based methods / propagation of clonally propagated crops (such as cassava) / conducting field surveys / managing experiments in the screenhouse or fields/indexing and seed quality testing.
- Passion and commitment for academic excellence.
- Computer literacy, data organization and analysis skills
- Good capability and readiness to travel independently within Nigeria, and work in the fields.
- Good coping skills heavy intermittent workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends
- Ability to learn new skills, quickly adapt and apply new methods.
- Ability to interpret data and prepare good technical reports.
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously in an interdisciplinary team with an international and intercultural background.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in the workforce, therefore female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 9th September, 2016.