UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, with funding from the Japanese government, is implementing a one-year project titled “Mainstreaming Gender into Humanitarian Response in Nigeria” This project is a humanitarian action component of UN Women’s current Peace and Security programme in Nigeria. It is designed to address the needs of internally displaced women and girls especially survivors of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV). It will focus on filling critical gender gaps in the on-going humanitarian response activities in three areas:
- Strengthen emergency assistance initiatives to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) women/girls and survivors of SGBV in target areas.
- Improve the economic capacity and social rehabilitation of women affected by crisis for peaceful cohabitation in target areas.
- Strengthen humanitarian coordination mechanisms for a more comprehensive and gender-responsive approach in Nigeria.
It is in this context that UN Women in Nigeria is seeking to recruit a Programme Associate on a short term assignment to support members of the Humanitarian Team in the implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The position contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including pro-siding necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Associate will work with the National Programme Officer, in close collaboration with the operations, programme and other projects’ staff (including consultants) in the Country Office, Regional Office and UN Women HQ as required.
Functions and key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support in the formulation of Programme Strategies;
- Management Support;
- Administrative, Financial Management and Logistical Support to the Programme Unit
- Facilitation of Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing.
Description of Functions
Support in the formulation of Programme Strategies:
- Collect and present background information for the preparation of programme documents
- Provide programme and administrative support in the preparation of programme workplans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information forthe preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
Programme Management Support:
- Support the Programme Team in the implementation of th control mechanisms for projects through monitoring of budget preparation and modifications;
- Prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project;
- Support the Programme Team in the financial management of Programmes;
- Provide guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources;
- Provide necessary information for the audit of programmes/projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors. Regional Office, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents;
- Support the Programme team in the tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
Administrative, Financial Management and Logistical Support to the Programme Unit:
- Provide administrative and logistical support for proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources;
- Provide administrative support related to hiring of consultants, engagement of partners and other procurement related matter in close cooperation with Operations unit;
- Prepare materials, estimates and other documents to support budget review, planning and preparation;
- Prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determine unutilized funds, operational sad financial close of a project:
- Ensure that all financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified;
- Provide continuous analysis and monitoring of financial situation, forecasts for development and management projects in close collaboration with the Programme Officer.
- Make all necessary logistical arrangements for official travel missions, ensuring that appropriate entitlements calculation and other requirements are fulfilled
Facilitation of Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing:
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management;
- Support synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice:
- Support organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education requited. University degree or equivalent in Business or Public Admin
- A minimum of 8 years of administrative experience preferably in a large or international corporation or organization;
- Experience in working is a computer environment using multiple office software packages, experience in ATLAS an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.
- Knowledge of llama is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter, CV with a UN standard personal history form and send to: email@example.com
Click Here to Downlaod UN Personal History Form (P11)
- We will only consider applications with complete P11 attached. UN Women will only be able to respond to those applicants in whom UN Women has a further interest.
- UN Women does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
28th October, 2016.