European Union (EU) Recruitment for Project Officers April 2017
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer
Job No: 58408
- The successful candidate will be responsible for specific projects/programmes with primary focus on water and sanitation and resilience.
Functions and Duties
Under the supervision of the Head of Section, the responsibilities are the following:
- The section ‘Health, nutrition and resilience’ of the European Union Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS is seeking to fill the vacancy of a Project Officer.
- The section is responsible for identifying, implementing and managing projects and programmes of the European Development Funds and of the thematic lines of the Development Cooperation Instruments.
Under the supervision of the Team Leader, the responsibilities include the following:
Management of EDF/EU Projects:
- Contribution to programming and mid-term review of the Nigeria National Indicative Programmes. Identification and formulation of programmes and projects – Internal monitoring of projects’ implementation in co-ordination with Nigerian authorities (NAO), ensuring that EU regulations and procedures are followed.
- Contributing to reporting requirements: Annual Management Plan (AMP); External Assistance Management Report (EAMR); Business Planning and Consolidation (BPC); project, sector and ad-hoc reports. Contributing to sector policy dialogue and engagement with actors at federal, state and non-state levels and with national and international organisations. Contributing to the visibility of the EU development cooperation activities.
- In the performance of the above-mentioned duties, the Project Officer will work closely together with other staff in the Team and within the Delegation, particularly with the Finance and Contracts section and the Regional Team.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Reporting to the Team Leader, the Project Officer is expected to contribute and provide technical expertise to the EU Delegation in all phases of the project management cycle, in particular to ensure proper project appraisal and subsequently monitoring of project implementation, and sector reviews.
- The Project Officer will be assigned specific projects/programmes with primary focus on alleviation of poverty and related consequences among the most vulnerable groups through improved resilience, including water and sanitation, enhanced food security and nutrition, and sustainable agricultural production.
Communication and Networking:
- The position requires excellent analytical, drafting and communication skills.
- Furthermore, the ability to work under pressure in a team or individually on specific tasks and to adapt to a multi-cultural environment is required.
- Candidates are also expected to be able to communicate complex information in a comprehensible manner, be flexible towards new demands and deliver their outputs in a structured way.
- The Project Officer will contribute to information exchange, coordination and policy dialogue with national and international development partners, regional, national and local government actors, civil society and the private sector.
Education and training:
- A B.Sc level education in a relevant field such as Civil Engineering, Rural Development, Agriculture, Food Security and Nutrition, Development Planning or Development Studies with at least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Alternatively, a Master’s degree with 5 years relevant experience in the fields mentioned is required. Additional education and/or experience in the area of social protection of vulnerable groups and/or project management would be highly advantageous.
- At least 5 years relevant experience in development cooperation and related project management in Nigeria.
- Specific knowledge in one or more of the areas of water and sanitation, resilience, food and nutrition security, and sustainable agriculture is required.
- Previous experience in development cooperation activities in northern Nigeria would be considered an advantage as well as experience in working for international organisations in the area.
- Full computer literacy, covering all relevant Office applications
- Knowledge of the 11th EDF and other EU development cooperation instruments and of the EU project management cycle
- Knowledge of project monitoring methods and techniques
- Capacity to deliver in a structured way
- Capacity to communicate technical or specialised information
- Ability to work in a proactive, autonomous and organised way
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- French and Hausa at working level would be considered advantageous
- The gross basic salary will be raised in accordance with relevant salary scale depending on years of relevant professional experience.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications which will consist of a letter explaining their motivation, interest and suitability for this position and a recent Curriculum Vitae, to “the Head of Administration” via: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Applications received after the above mentioned closing date or which do not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected.