New Vacancies at Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief of Party
Job ID: 13-9159
Dept/Unit: GEN (General)
Reports To: Project Senior Manager
- Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Chief of Party to join a dynamic team for a potential 5-year USAID-funded contract.
- In close harmonization with key stakeholders, this project aims to build local capacity for the delivery of sustainable, high-quality, and comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment, care, and support services.
- In scaling up effective and high impact interventions and improving efficiency, this project will foster Nigeria’s capacity to effectively control, treat, and prevent HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis co-infections in the general and key populations across all regions of Nigeria.
- The Chief of Party leads and manages the project with full accountability and authority for the development, execution, and monitoring of the project, including vision and technical strategy, project management, documentation and communication, client(s) stakeholder(s) relationships, and coordination and synergy with other MSH projects.
- MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information.
- Working from more than 40 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from more than 70 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
- Provides high quality technical and strategic leadership, managerial oversight, and administration of the project.
- Serves as the primary project liaison from MSH to the donor and is accountable for the achievement of results, ensuring quality of services is maintained at the highest standard, and that all project objectives and deliverables are met.
Technical Strategy and Vision:
- Develop (update and adapt as needed) and execute annual work plans per contract/agreement requirements.
- Ensure appropriate and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum project impact using a variety of communication strategies and media.
Project and People Management:
- Ensure effective contract/agreement implementation in strict compliance with USAID contract/agreement clauses, policies, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure project staffing, structure and reporting relationships are aligned with project needs, local context and available resources.
- Manage and mentor the project team through regular check-ins, annual appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support.
Client and other Stakeholder Relationships:
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers and partners.
Internal Coordination and Synergy:
- Collaborate with the MSH Country Representative and participate as required in activities organized in the context of MSH Representation in country.
- Ensure harmonious collaboration with and cost-effective use of the Country Operations Management Unit.
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a MPH, Master’s level Degree in a related field, or Medicine.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible, related experience is required.
- Demonstrated subject-matter expertise in HIV/AIDS, infectious diseases (malaria and TB), MNCH, health system strengthening, and quality improvement/quality assurance.
- Demonstrated leadership and management abilities.
- Prior experience and success directing similar or larger international donor-funded projects in Nigeria.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills.
- Familiarity with USAID regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects required.
- Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams with the project mission and vision.
- Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably with national and sub-national government officials and institutions, NGOs, private sector groups, USAID, CSOs, and donor organizations.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English required.
How to Apply
Job ID: 13-9161
Project/Program: P000 – Proposal
Reports To: Chief of Party
- Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning for a potential 5-year USAID-funded contract designed to build local capacity for the delivery of sustainable, high-quality, and comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment, care, and support services. Using a data-driven approach, this project will impact Nigeria’s capacity to effectively control, treat and prevent HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis co-infections in the general and key populations across all regions of Nigeria.
- The Director for Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will oversee the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system for reporting progress, and maintain reporting procedures and guidelines in compliance with USAID systems.
- The Director of M&EL will be expected to develop a strong monitoring and evaluation plan consistent with USAID and PEPFAR results frameworks, coordinate the collection of data including conducting field visits for data validation, monitor the quality and completeness of data sets, contribute to the development of the program and document project performance against established outputs and indicators.
- S/he will also be responsible for building the capacity of the local, state, and federal Government of Nigeria, Ministry of Health (MOH), and other stakeholders in the collection, utilization, and dissemination of data as well as ensuring that all monitoring and data collection activities are harmonized and information is shared.
- S/he will also assist the MOH to monitor programs and assess the robustness of implementing organizations’ data collection and M&E mechanisms. The Director will also oversee junior M&E staff and will work with partners to implement the project’s implementation research agenda.
- Design and implement the Project’s M&E system in close coordination with the technical team, including the development of performance indicators, setting annual targets, monitoring project progress against annual targets, ensuring timely data collection, writing quarterly and annual reports, and liaising with the project financial team to track the budget in relation to all project results and outcomes.
- Provide technical inputs to the technical team in order to assist in developing program goals and objectives as well as M&E tools and strategies and provide monitoring data to strategically inform the decisions on project performance and future direction to the project.
- Lead the conduction of a baseline study for all performance indicators that require a baseline value.
- Develop and implement a quality improvement system for the project focusing on the systematic strengthening of data quality for all program data.
- Support the MOH to enhance a health sector M&E framework and monitor health system strengthening interventions.
- Provide regularly updated reports on the status of implementation, according to project goals, objectives and indicators, to the Chief of Party, USAID, PEPFAR and other program managers as required.
- Collaborate with the project technical team in identifying project activities, processes and/or outcomes that are worthy of documentation, and design a system for capturing lessons learned and best practices.
- Support the production of technical briefs and other technical documents on the project accomplishments.
- Support preparations for external and internal assessments, reviews, and/or evaluations commissioned by the donor agency and MSH throughout the implementation of the project.
- Work with consultants and partners to implement the project’s implementation research agenda.
- Adhere to MSH procurement integrity and institutional standards and procedures in all project management responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Public Health or a related discipline.
- At least 7 years of demonstrated experience designing, and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities for complex public health programs in developing countries.
- Experience in designing and implementing special studies in developing countries.
- Excellent command of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Knowledge of M&E issues related to improvements in quality integrated health services and support programs, particularly programs focusing on HIV and TB..
- Previous experience implementing and managing a rigorous M&E system including developing and monitoring performance monitoring plans that track performance as sub-results/results and by funding stream.
- Knowledge of data collection protocols to ensure accurate data collection and verification is essential, as well as an ability to identify data trends and communicate this information to allow for changes in program implementation.
- M&E experience in the health sector desired, particularly in health systems strengthening.
- Ability to write quality reports for donors.
- Knowledge of and experience in operational and/or implementation research experience highly desired.
- Past experience leading and building the capacity of M&E officers, including remote, field-based staff, to meet program needs and deliverables is desired.
- Extraordinary organizational, verbal and written communication skills to manage project communications and disseminate project information.
- Excellent skills in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and DHIS2. Experience working with a statistical analysis software (STATA, SPSS or alike) highly desired.
- Experience with USG/USAID/PEPFAR programs/projects and reporting requirements required.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills and professional proficiency in English required.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus and navigate complex political contexts. Ability to develop effective working relationships with USAID, state and local governments and other program partners and counterparts.
- Previous supervisory experience highly desired
- Willingness to travel frequently within Nigeria.
How to Apply