Job Recruitment at International Organization for Migration (IOM)
International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant (MM/RESEARCH) – Part Time
IOM Classification: Special Short Term (SST) Grade equivalent, G5
Type of Appointment:Contract Basis (Renewable) – (Working time: 50%)
- Working under the supervision of the AVRR manager in Lagos, Nigeria and in coordination with the Principal Investigator and Co-investigator in the UK, the Programme Assistant (Research) will be tasked with assisting in the implementation of the research project entitled ‘Vulnerability to Human Trafficking: A Study of Vietnam, Albania and Nigeria’. The project’s primary objectives are:
- To explore socio-economic and political conditions, plus other contextual factors in Vietnam, Albania and Nigeria that create ‘vulnerability’ to trafficking for both adults and children.
- Review existing academic and ‘grey’ literature on trafficking within these countries, particularly focusing on interventions and identification of good practice
- Explore the needs of identified victims of trafficking from the three countries plus carry out research in the UK
Core Functions / Responsibilities
The selected candidate will also support the IOM Nigeria portfolio related to the counter- trafficking programme. In particular, he/she will:
- Assist in coordinating and implementing the key activities within the above mentioned project. Conduct all necessary administrative and financial procedures, and prepare any supporting documentation required.
- Coordinate closely with other members of IOM Nigeria, the Local Research Consultant, IOM UK and University of Bedfordshire staff during the course of the research project
- Support the local research consultant throughout the research process including arranging face-to-face interviews, transcribing interviews and any general administrative tasks.
- Contribute to literature reviews on human trafficking in Nigeria from different sources including academic, NGO and government reports and draft summaries of findings.
- Assist in identifying and maintaining working relationships with relevant state institutions, international organizations, local organizations , NGOs, and others, working on issues concerning human trafficking;
- Assist in organizing meetings, missions and workshops related to the research and other counter-trafficking activities, in particular the Shared Learning Event
- Assist in the preparation of documentation and reports (quarterly report, notes for the file, correspondence, etc.) for meetings and follow up related to the research and other counter-trafficking activities.
- Document research output including maintaining records and databases, compiling relevant statistics, drafting progress reports as appropriate.
- Contribute to qualitative data analysis and where necessary, to quantitative data analysis
- Keep up to date with current knowledge and recent advances in the field/discipline.
- Assist the counter-trafficking Focal Point in implementation of counter trafficking program activities;
- Perform such other duties as maybe assigned
- Professionalism: displays mastery of subject matter; has knowledge of research methodologies, data collection and maintenance, ability to research, interpret and analyse a wide variety of data.
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services, Demonstrates use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; is willing to learn from others;
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Technological Awareness – Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed undergraduate degree in a relevant field (Social Sciences, Social Work, Public Policy, or statistics);
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in collecting and researching data across various areas of social and economic development or related area.
- Experience/interest in human trafficking, migration and qualitative research is desirable.
- Relevant IT skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and web-based applications, required.
- Must be able to write clearly and concisely, and have excellent organization and analytical skills
- Knowledge of some qualitative and quantitative data analysis packages is an advantage
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple native languages advantageous;
Deadline: 26th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2017_66 Lagos. Project Assistant (Research)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.