Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
At Andela, we find the brightest young people in Africa, train them to be world-class developers, and connect them with employers around the world looking for top technical talent. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Engineering Manager
About the Role
- Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality while providing excellent service internally and externally. It is responsible for finding the best solution for Andela’s needs, not necessarily the best solution that Andela can build.
- In this role, you will primarily work as a Engineering Manager within the Technology department as a people manager of up to 10 engineers in your location, providing mentoring and coaching to the engineers, and maintaining innovative processes that monitor the health of the engineering team.
- A Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- 4-5 years of software development experience
- 5+ years experience managing and growing software engineering teams as a people manager
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Be a combination of a highly-technical software engineer and an effective people manager
- Recruit Technical Team Leads (TTLs) and Senior Engineers (SEs)
- Identify potential candidates that best fit the role
- Interview prospective TTLs and SEs to ensure fit
- Facilitate onboarding of TTLs and SEs, in collaboration with Ops and P&C teams
- Develop team and individual KPIs aligned to the Department and Andela’s strategic goals
- Conduct quarterly reviews of KPIs in collaboration with Director of Engineering
- Monitor all Engineering metrics, SLAs and KPIs for individual team members and ensures compliance with them
- Communicate expectations clearly to all team members and solicit and deliver individual feedback frequently
- Manage, measure and improve engineering processes
- Onboarding and offboarding process
- Software development process
- Manage up to 10 engineers
- Manage team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Mentor and coach the engineers and ensure their success
- Encourage and promote best engineering practices with the engineers
- Encourage a data-driven culture with the engineers to improve the efficiency, scalability, and stability of our in-house systems
- Support the engineers in identifying, resolving and escalating issues that impact their work
- Occasionally unblock engineers on complex issues via pair programming, whiteboarding and design sessions
- Manage and track engineers on performance improvement plans
- Inter-Departmental collaboration with
- Engineering Managers to ensure collaboration across the Engineering department
- Product Managers to advocate for and prioritize technical initiatives for the team
- Cross-Departmental collaboration with
- Local Leadership to represent and communicate engineering initiatives
- Learning team in regards to 1 Year Developer Placement Program
- Success in regards to internal engagements
- Operations in regards to hardware for engineers
- P&C in regards to people issues
- Support with budget creation, monitoring and adherence responsibilities
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online