The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Reports to: the WaSH Coordinator.
- Supervision of WaSH assistants
- Coordinate the WASH activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assist the WASH Project Coordinator in all aspects of WASH programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works for all water infrastructure and sanitation facilities
- Assess the wash training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conduct water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points
- Provide technical assistance to the WASH Program Development Manager and local counterparts on issues of WASH information and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures.
- NRC is looking for a WaSH Officer for our field office in Dikwa, Borno State in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the WaSH Officer is to ensure the Implementation and impact of WaSH programme activities in Dikwa, Borno State
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria
- Experience with start-up activities
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Higher diploma in Civil or Water Engineering or Public Health (BAC+5) minimum
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with wash projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2 years work experience in community based Water and Sanitation programs; Work experience with an INGO is desirable
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Water and Sanitation delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, Arc Gis and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: March 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Dikwa, with frequent travels. Travel outside Dikwa is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
Deadline: 24th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online