Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a nongovernmental, nonprofit, nonpolitical and nonreligious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Education Supervisor
- Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Project Manager, the Nutrition Education Supervisor will supervise the organization, implementation and the monitoring of nutrition activities on a daily basis in line with pui procedures and standards.
- Under the Direct Supervision of Deputy Project Manager
- Under the Technical Supervision Nutrition Advisor
- Under the Overall Supervision Project Manager
- In Supervision of Nutrition Education Officer.
Role and Responsibilities
- S/he will supervise the identification of eligible project beneficiaries.
- Propose action plan to ensure that beneficiaries and local populations both understand the project goals and actively participate in their implementation.
- Organize and supervise the day-to-day implementation and monitoring of the nutrition education activities.
- Plan, conduct and supervise trainings for community’s volunteers, lead mothers and projects’ beneficiaries.
- S/he will take lead role in continuous project sensitization and mobilization at community level.
- S/he is will supervise the organization of groups and other fora for dissemination of nutrition messages.
- S/he will take lead role in organizing and supervising community screening and referrals for malnourished beneficiaries.
- Maintain and build good relationships with local leaders, authorities, partners and relevant actors in area where PUI is working.
- Act as a liaison with the beneficiaries, local population and authorities in order to identify the needs, grievances and major events that could have potential consequences for PUI activity.
- Ensure representation of PUI at field level for the areas which s/he is responsible for.
- Participate and supervise any assessments for the projects or for new projects.
- Analyze the humanitarian situation, taking protection problems into consideration/Do no Harm to the population.
- Report immediately any delay, problem or other relevant information to the Supervisor.
- Participate in the recruitment of Nutrition Education Officers and any other position that could be recruited on his/her team.
- Participate in the identification and selection of volunteers and project beneficiaries.
- Organize and supervise the day-to-day schedule of the team to guarantee the smooth running of the project and participate in the weekly task drafting for the field work plans.
- Make sure every members of the team clearly understand his/her task and has the necessary material to correctly fulfil his/her objectives.
- Ensure the work schedules are respected in the field.
- Organize regular meeting with her/his team (briefing and debriefing) and ensure they have the necessary support they need.
- S/he participates in the evaluation and to the definition of the training needs of his/her team.
- Ensure the security rules in the field are respected, the safety of the field officers is guaranteed and the regular communication with the security person is maintained.
- Participate in the recruitment of daily workers
- Ensure the proper training and supervision of the daily workers who take part in the project.
- Collect and compile data and information from the team to present weekly reports to the DPM on the progress of activities, problems encountered, the quality of relations with beneficiaries and propose actions to improve the project
- Keep monitoring tools and files archived at the PUI office, ensuring their availability to his/her manager(s).
- Pass on any information or problems to his/her direct and/or indirect supervisor concerning his/her task, PUI programs, or safety aspects.
- Report immediately any delay, problem or other relevant information to his/her manager.
Logistic & Administration:
- Contribute to the definition of the needs in materials and tools regarding the program and the planning of interventions.
- Ensure the safety and good operating conditions of all PUI material of the field team
- Ensure the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools used during on-site works.
- Manage the supply of materials to the work site in collaboration with logistics department.
- Analyze the security situation in the area and inform the DPM in case of security incidents, rumors or any security information.
Specific Objective and Linked Activities:
- The Nutrition Education Supervisor will be responsible to ensure that educational messages are delivered to beneficiaries as per set targets and with the upmost quality regarding accuracy, efficiency and culturally sensitivity to optimize the adoption of healthier behavior among mothers of children under 5.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Education Degree: Diploma in a Health related discipline or NCE in a relevant field
- Minimum of 12-month experience directly implementing community Social Behavior Change Communication activities
- Previous experience with NGO is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of the MOH systems and structure.
- Previous experience in food security related programs is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in team building, management and supervision.
- Previous experience in humanitarian assessment, monitoring and evaluation is an asset
- Knowledge and skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices
- Basic knowledge of community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM)
- Excellent understanding of community leadership structures and community mobilization strategies
- Able negotiator, diplomatic with effective problem solving skills
- Excellent motivator
- Attention to detail and able to provide constructive criticism
- Computer skills
- Proficient user of MS office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Fluent in English and at least intermediate in local dialects: Hausa and Kanuri
- Excellent Field work skills.
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles.
- Excellent knowledge of Borno State, willing to travel locally.
- Stress Management and flexibility.
- Rigor and organization.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Transversals skills
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Deadline: 28th February, 2018
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Fill the form and make sure to mention in the form the reference of the position you are applying for
- If pre-selected you will be contacted shortly by the HR department
- Due to the urgency to fill the post, recruitment will be done on the rolling basis and PUI reserves the right to recruit before the deadline.