Database Officer (ICRS) Recruitment at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Database Officer (ICRS)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the and overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Stabilization, Transition, Recovery, Reintegration (STRR) Officer, and in coordination with the client departments, Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Information Management Unit (IMU), as well as following the technical advice of the IMU regional and Headquarters (HQs) referents, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing and setting up the technical requirements for a registration and profiling database following IOM Information, Counselling and Referral System in Transition Centres for Reinsertion programmes addressed to Low Profile Boko Haram associates in Nigeria, in direct support to the Military and Civilian management authorities of the centres, with potential expansion to different geographical areas and centres in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop a tailored Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for additional reporting.
- Draft a budget and maintenance or management plan for short and long-run programme.
- Draft a work plan for development, quality control, rollout, full implementation and management of the application.
- Conduct technical and information-sharing meetings regarding the progress of designing, development and implementation of the applications.
- Ensure the implementation of IOM ITC standards, policies and guidelines, in particular with regards to the databases and information systems being followed and implemented.
- Ensure the required performance of the developed applications to prevent and minimize downtime or service interruptions.
- Technical liaison with technical counterparts as needed.
- Prepare detailed technical documentation and conduct trainings for the system administrators, managers and interviewers.
- Develop, set up, manage and maintain an Information, Counselling and Referral Service (ICRS) database application system as per requirements set by the programme.
- Supervise, follow up and test the implementation of the technical equipment in the different centres.
- Identify and implement potential improvement areas for the system to keep enhanced effectiveness and efficiency of the process flow.
- Set up an effective system of data and files classification, with comprehensive documentation (physical and software data).
- Monitor the start-up of the system, supporting users, and set up contingencies for troubleshooting problems.
- Assist in preparing user manuals and conducting training programmes for the relevant users.
- Travel to different field locations as needed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in cooperate business application development for process flow management;
- Experience in windows and web based application development;
- Experience in MS SQL, Access, C#, VB.net, MVC application development and data management is required;
- Extensive knowledge in Microsoft Applications and Microsoft Dynamics Certificate is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Deadline: 8th March, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.