COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
- Provides outpatient and/or inpatient medical care’s to Stabilization centre beneficiaries according to The Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria medical/international protocols, values and universal hygiene standards.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Nutrition Project Manager and in collaboration with the Project Managers, Field Coordinators, and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, She/he will:
Provides in-patient consultations:
- Carries out the daily departmental rounds
- Examines all the hospitalized patients while carrying out a Triage to ensure that critical and new patients are prioritized at all times.
- Ensures all Patients are regularly monitored depending on their condition.
- Prescribes the care and treatments required, following the Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria protocols and ensuring the rational use of medicines
- Informs patients about their illnesses, explains their treatments, answers questions.
- Keeps the hospitalization forms up to date (details of examinations, entry and exit diagnoses, treatments, Death Reports, etc ) and ensures the application of prescriptions
- Decides on the discharge/transfer to OTP of patients according to the state of their health and following the Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria protocols
- Works in collaboration with the different doctors and supervises transfers towards other departments if necessary
- Checks that transfusion rules are followed in the department (grouping, tests, procedure, monitoring, etc.)
- Ensures ongoing training of the medical/nurses/nutrition assistants team in order to optimize the quality of care
- Manages emergencies and is on call if necessary
- May be assigned to be responsible for Staff health issues.
- Ensures Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria protocols always followed by medical staff members.
- May be involved in scheduling and rotations of medical staff members.
- Ensures universal precautions followed at all times, contributes to reducing bio-hazard risk, and infection control improvements. Participates in Infection Control meetings if needed.
- Flexibility of roster in night and day if needed
- Ensures that professional confidentiality is respected
- Participates in Medical, Mortality, Staff meeting if needed.
Provides out-patient consultations if required:
- Checks that triage is carried out according to emergency criteria and the vulnerability of patients
- Refers emergencies cases based on Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria procedure of referral to the hospital and re-orientates non-emergency patients if necessary.
- Carries out consultations following Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria treatment protocols and noting observations on health care forms
- Provides patients with information on their illnesses, explaining the treatments involved and how to follow them, checking that patients have properly understood
- Ensures the follow up of previously hospitalized patients in the outpatients department (OTP)
- Monitors the rational distribution of medicines at pharmacy level
- Works in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team and participates in ongoing staff training (care techniques, updating protocols etc.)
- Participates in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data (medical statistics), checking its validity if required
- Monitor and inform about type of pathologies, abnormal increases in number of consultations as well as any epidemic potentials.
- Inform line manager about any possible serious problem or complication, ex. worsening of state of patients, problems in medicines, Need of special treatment or Referral, etc.
- Ensure that information is transferred to next duty team regarding patients and their status.
- Inform line manager of any problems that might be linked to work of nurses, nutrition assistants as well as problematic equipment or material (ex. broken, missing).
- Look after all equipment provided.
- Ensure that no material is taken out of doctors area without prior authorisation.
- Keep an updated inventory of all material and equipment used and ask in advance for all renewable material needed.
- Participates in emergency activity or exploratory visit in or out of the COOPI area of work upon request.
- Report on time any epidemic diseases to line supervisor.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
Desired Competencies / Skills
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Previous experience in similar roles in a humanitarian set up
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa/Kanuri)
- Essential degree of medicine with valid professional license practice.
- Desirable specialisation or training in Pediatrics and/or Nutrition.
- Essential working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs related to Pediatrics and Nutrition.
- Share the humanitarian mission of the organization
- Good communication skills
- Ability to communicate with vulnerable populations
- Proven experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Accuracy and promptness in performing duties
- English writing and speaking skill preferred
Deadline: 30th March, 2018.
Method of ApplicationInterested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying in the e-mail subject: “SC Medical Doctor”.
E-mail applications inclusive of:
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Cover Letter (max 1 page)
- Scanned copies of certificates (originals to be presented if shortlisted)
Note: Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.