U.S. Embassy Recruitment for Gardeners – 14 Slots
The U.S. Embassy in Lagos, is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of:
Job Title: Gardener
Announcement Number: Lagos-2018-047
Open to: All Interested Candidates
Work Hours: Full time 40 hours/week
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Primary school education is required.
- Experience: Two (2) years of gardening maintenance experience is required.
- Job Knowledge: Understanding the concept of gardening maintenance and equipment, as well as understanding of Nigeria horticulture environment is required.
- Language: English Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to lift, handle and carry heavy loads up to 23kg is required.
- Must be able to use a wide range of gardening equipment and powered hand tools. Incumbent Must be able to conform to established safety and health policy and procedures and report unsafe or hazardous conditions.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- The incumbent is assigned to the Facility Management (FAC) as a Gardener to perform gardening work on the Consulate General (Consulate) Compound and all USG leased/owned properties
- S/he is responsible for weeding, planting, pruning and watering, as well as the general maintenance and appearance of grounds and gardens at all of the USG compounds.
- Incumbent reports directly to the Gardening Supervisor.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
- When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letter head of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
NGN 2,385,434 / USD 6,644
Deadline: 5th June, 2018.
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174) , or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus,
- Application letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluation for the position
- Degree without transcript (if applicable)
- Certificates and License (Primary School Certificate, WAEC etc.)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.)
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
- Candidates must be able to obtain and hold an FSN security clearance.
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.