ONE is a global campaigning and advocacy organisation with over nine million members from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and aid that is more effective.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Policy Director, Agriculture & Inclusive Growth
Job Type: Full-Time
About The Opportunity
- Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment towards reaching a common goal of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. When you work for ONE, you will receive an exceptional benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to worldwide causes impacting those most in need.
- ONE is seeking a seasoned, networked, and highly collaborative Policy Director for Agriculture and Inclusive Growth to help implement and manage the organization’s policy agenda with a particular focus on rural youth employment. The Policy Director will be a visible and essential member of ONE’s Policy Leadership Team responsible for working with the Executive Director for Global Policy in driving new approaches to our policy work and designing and implementing policy strategies that increase the impact of our work on ONE’s mission. They will represent the organization externally and elevate ONE’s credibility with policy makers, think tanks, and decision makers globally.
- This is a full-time opportunity reporting directly to the Executive Director for Global Policy . This position will be based in our Abuja or Johannesburg office.
In This Role, You Will
- Lead ONE’s research, analysis and policy positions across geographic markets on issues related to rural employment and sustained and inclusive growth and their drivers such as infrastructure and trade; and identify opportunities for potential policy asks and advocacy. The Director will be well-versed on the interface between political trends and opportunities and policy debates with a view to having maximum impact on ONE’s mission.
- Lead ONE’s engagement with multilateral institutions and other agencies focused on agricultural development (e.g., World Bank, IFAD, World Food Programme, FAO, African Development Bank).
- Represent ONE at meetings and conferences on specific agricultural development and inclusive growth policy topics, as needed.
- Manage all aspects of one or more policy issues, including research, preparing briefing materials, engaging externally with NGO partners, and working internally with other organizational teams (field outreach, communications, legislative, Europe, online, etc.) on this issue.
- Develop/maintain relationships with senior and working level contacts, including those in African countries, on specific policy issues and experiences implementing key programs.
- Supervise a small global agricultural development, gender, and economic team of policy managers and research assistants.
- Ensure that the Global Policy Director is aware of critical issues, moments, and strategic opportunities on key issues.
- Work with the Executive Director for Global Policy to build a culture of high performance and entrepreneurship in the Global Policy Team.
- The position reports to the Executive Director for Global Policy.
What We Need From You
- Master’ degree, preferably in agriculture and/or development growth-related field.
- Willingness to adjust to new themes, issues, and ways of working.
- Background in using policy to achieve advocacy objectives, particularly work that required extensive cross-team collaboration.
- Background in working on gender issues, particularly in Africa, desired.
- Experience working on issues of development, particularly in Africa; basic understanding of the links between advocacy, policy-making, legislation, and implementation of programs.
- Action and results-oriented and solutions-focused.
- Flexible, resourceful and innovative with the ability to manage competing and shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment, with shifting priorities and occasional heavy workloads.
- 7-10 years’ experience working on agricultural development policy in a government agency, multilateral institution, think tank, or NGO.
- A deep commitment to ONE’s mission and a deep understanding of, and passion for, Africa and the developing world.
- A deep understanding of the global advocacy landscape.
- Intellectual curiosity for development policy.
- Understanding of media landscape and mission-driven storytelling.
- Ability to synthesize policy documents with any eye to key points and relevance to ONE, and to translate the key points to a non-specialist audience.
- Excellent communication skills, with experience of influencing stakeholders and establishing strong partnerships.
- Impeccable judgement.
- Experience in data analysis and a strong economic background.
- Ability to work as part of a global team.
- Quick turnaround research skills—must have the ability to seek out key facts and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audience.
- Previous work experience in Africa and/or international development.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred, with a proven ability to lead and inspire teams.
- Fluency in English required. Other languages such as French or German highly desired.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidats should:
Click here to apply online