The U.S. Embassy in Lagos, Nigeria, is seeking to employ eligible and qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Commercial Assistant (Pos. FCSL 07)
Series/Grade: 1510 / FSN-08 / FS-06
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- The incumbent supports a range of Commercial Service (CS) programs and activities, especially CS Nigeria marketing, Networking with USA (NUSA) program and core CS services such as International Company Profile (ICP), Gold Key Services (GKS), and International Partners Search (IPS), as well as trade missions and trade promotion events where the incumbent is responsible for promoting assigned sectors on a national basis.
- S/he counsels and assists U.S. firms with marketing strategies; monitors and reports trade opportunities; plans, organizes, implements and supports trade events; researches market trends; and serves as Commercial Services (CS) industry teams.
- S/he serves as Marketing Lead for CS Nigeria, creates content for press releases, newsletters, websites, outreach campaigns, and Commercial Officer speeches, In addition, the incumbent also serves as office Systems Administrator and webmaster to manage, utilize and upkeep all information and communications systems for CS Lagos, and supports communication efforts for CS West Africa region.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Information Technology, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Mass Communication or International Trade is required.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in business, government or non-government Organization (NGOs) in the field of marketing, trade promotion, economics, accounting, international trade or similar field is required.
- Basic knowledge of local business firms, trade practices, restrictions, organizations, and customs; of marketing and sales technique of assigned industries and their potential for U.S. businesses and knowledge of business due diligence investigations.
- Language: English Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient and able to train on an advanced level in Microsoft Office Suite and database management software programs. Skilled in the use of graphics and related software, digital cameras and images/photograph management tools, e.g. Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, scanners, DVD and CD burners, telecommunication programs, videoconferencing equipment, as well as skilled at troubleshooting technical problems, and basic knowledge of HTM/Web design tools.
- Ability to record data accurately and keep organized record, create and serve representatives of U.S. and host country business firms and other key personnel with tact and efficiency, as well as ability to create and execute promotional campaigns; skills in research and writing and ability to learn Commerce client management programs, CS internal reporting requirements, operating procedures are required.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:
- The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
- The character of service
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
NGN 8,383,885 / USD 40,514.
Deadline: 31st August, 2018.
- Universal Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174)
- Application Letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluations for the position
- Degree not with transcript
- Certificate or License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- Who May Apply: FS-6/1 is USD 40,514/LE is NGN8,383,885 – Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.