The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Chief of Mission
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P5
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: 01 January 2019
- Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director for West and Central Africa at the Regional Office (RO) in Dakar, in close coordination with technical units at IOM Headquarters (HQs) and the IOM Offices in Washington and Brussels, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for the oversight of IOM activities in Nigeria and overall management of the office.
- S/he will be IOM’s interlocutor with the relevant ministries and local government authorities, United Nations Country Team (UNCT)Agencies, the Senior Management Team (SMT), local and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the private sector.
- The successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for developing and promoting IOM’s strategy and programming in Nigeria within the overall regional framework. S/he will ensure to transition the mission’s programming focus to longer-term development while maintaining a crisis response capacity.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Development and follow up of strategies, policies and programmes:
- Provide advice and technical assistance to the Government of Nigeria in the context of the migratory flows on the Central Mediterranean Route and the humanitarian crisis in the Lake Chad Basin.
- Ensure that IOM is well positioned to lead in all aspect of the humanitarian – development – peace nexus.
- Ensure the mission’s crisis response capacity remains operational.
- Take the lead to develop, clarify and contribute to IOM’s overall mandate and strategy and spearhead project development and implementation in Nigeria following appropriate consultation with the RO within the overall regional framework, HQs, Member States and other relevant stakeholders.
- Play an integral role in policy discussions and ensure approved policies are appropriately integrated in IOM’s activities.
- Stimulate, catalyze and support project development in Nigeria through a comprehensive resource mobilization strategy which includes multilateral and bilateral donors, national and local government and public/private partnerships. Assess appropriateness and effectiveness of programme development strategies and fundraising; and recommend process improvements including the systematization and transfer of capacities and experiences in the context of the global knowledge management strategy.
- Direct and monitor project planning design and implementation in Nigeria and provide necessary support to project offices and sub-offices. Evaluate IOM’s operational activities in Nigeria and take appropriate measures to increase their effectiveness.
- Advise the RO and HQs on national policy and migration trends in the country and in the region as well as government’s migration policies affecting the activities of IOM in Nigeria and prepare proposals for appropriate action.
- Supervise the implementation and assure high quality performance of a large variety of projects related to internally displaced persons (IDPs), voluntary returns and reintegration; durable solutions for IDPs and vulnerable populations; technical assistance on border monitoring and border management; migration, environment and climate change; community stabilization initiatives; migration and health; diaspora engagement; and trafficking in persons and smuggling; and ensure the inclusion of cross cutting issues such as gender and protection.
- Support and promote regional and international processes and dialogues on migration relevant to Nigeria. Ensure the participation of government officials in these initiatives.
- Take full responsibility for the successful execution of on-going operational programmes and the development of new ones including a strategy for identifying new opportunities.
Resources Management and Capacity Building:
- Direct the operational, human resources, administrative, budgetary and financial activities of the Country Office and oversee those of the project offices and sub-offices in accordance with the Organization’s rules and procedures.
- Report regularly to the Director General, Regional Director and other interested partners on progress achieved and developments in Nigeria. Prepare regular and special reports including narrative, impact, policy, financial, evaluation and statistics covering IOM activities. Prepare briefings and background information requested by the RO, HQs, the Government of Nigeria and other entities.
Representation of IOM:
- Develop public relations and media activities to promote IOM’s image and programmes. Participate in appropriate policy and operational United Nations Country Team (UNCT) inter-agency mechanisms.
- Collaborate with international and regional organizations, diplomatic missions, NGOs and the civil society of Niger to identify migration-related areas for developing common activities/projects in a complementary manner.
- Support the RO and, when relevant, HQs in the preparation and implementation of high-level meetings, with a view to ensuing high-level participation of the Government of Nigeria.
- Represent the Organization at national and international conferences and meetings.
- Take part in the development of any other relevant planning tools such as National Action plans, Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers, Migration Profiles, United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) process.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Develop and promote liaison with governmental authorities and diplomatic missions, international organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), private sector and public media in the country, particularly with a view to identify migration-related areas for developing common activities/projects in a complementary manner. Identify needs and priorities for cooperation and project development as well as for fundraising purposes.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with ten years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with twelve years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with EUTF and EU funded projects;
- Work experience in C, D, and E duty stations; Knowledge and experience on regional migration issues as well as in crisis response; and, Good level of computer literacy.
- Experience in diplomacy, fundraising and public relations, as well as in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and international institutions;
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written; ability to prepare and deliver speeches on various activities of the Organization;
- Proven liaison and negotiation skills;
- Demonstrated strategic and creative thinking;
- In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Effective resource management skills, sound knowledge of financial and business administration and of the principles and practices of management; ability to motivate, supervise and coach/ direct staff;
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
- differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th September, 2018.
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.