Current Vacancies at COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, 4th September, 2018
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Head of Base, Potiskum
Location: Potiskum, Yobe
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission and in link with the Coordination, he/she ensures COOPI intervention coordination in his/her area of intervention. He/She:
- Coordinates the implementation of the country strategy in his/her area of intervention
- Participate in the development and updating of the country strategy by providing information from the field
- Ensuring the implementation in the field of the part of the country strategy for which he/she is responsible in collaboration with the head of Mission, the Program Coordinator and the project Managers.
- Coordinates the implementation of programs in the field
- Coordinate and control the implementation of planned projects
- Coordinate in the field the development of new projects in collaboration with program coordinator and project managers.
- Supervise the support services activities at field level, in collaboration with the support department managers
- Guarantee synergy between technical and support teams at field level
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations from internal audits / departmental field visits / field assessments
- Manages the team in his/her area of intervention
- Supervise and manage the members of his/her team under his/her direct responsibility
- Participate in the recruitment of his/her direct team (for expatriate staff in his area of intervention at the request of the Head of Mission)
- Monitor the social climate in its area of intervention and alert the Head of Mission in case of difficulties or social demands
- Ensure the global management of training needs for his/her team
- Encourage compliance with the charter and the fight against fraud and abuse of power and alert the Head of Mission in case of fraud or abuse of power
- Facilitates good relationship with coordination team
- Keep the coordination team informed about program delivery
- Proactively solicit coordination team for any question that could jeopardize programs, funding; or the safety of teams and equipments
- Ensure that field teams clearly articulate requests for support to the coordination team to maximize operational effectiveness and programs’ impact
- In general, play a facilitating role between the “field” and the “coordination”
- Manage the follow-up of recommendations from the technical and support departments
- Represents COOPI and ensures relations with partners, authorities, UN agencies and NGOs in its area of intervention
- Coordinate and supervise all partnerships
- Participate in humanitarian coordination activities
- If necessary, implement at the local level the strategy and advocacy activities defined by the mission
- Ensures the reporting and the communication
- Coordinate the reporting activities with the Program Managers in the field in accordance with donors and the HQ requirements (type and quality of information)
- Coordinate the establishment of a program capitalization system to provide evidence to carry out advocacy activities
- Implementation good communication practices
- Manage the safety and security of his/her area of intervention
- Follow the evolution of the security environment (networking, gathering and analysis of information …)
- Maintain an effective network with local stakeholders on issues of context and security, collect and analyze information to establish context analysis and risk analysis
- Regularly Update the Local Security Plan with the support of the Logistics Manager and the security officer and send it to the Head of Mission
- Briefe teams on context and security
- Guarantee compliance with safety rules with the support of the Logistics Department
- Manage any security incidents and report to the Country Director
- Actively participate in audits and ensure implementation of recommendations
- Advanced degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work.
- Minimum 3 years experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO is an advantage;
- Desirable experience of working on EU/ECHO, USAid/OFDA, UN and Italian Cooperation;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management.
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Protection Project Manager
Duration: 12 months
Starting Date: ASAP
Reports to: Head of base / Program Coordinator
Project:UNICEF; Protection and Reintegration of children associated with armed groups in the north east of Nigeria
- Based on a consolidated care model for children associated to armed forces and groups implemented in several conflict areas over the years, COOPI will establish a Centre of Transit and Orientation (TOC) for children formerly associated with Boko Haram in need of psychosocial and other assistance before reunification and integration into their families of origin.
- An age-appropriate individualised plan will include: recreational, psychosocial and educational activities to support the child’s readjustment to family life, and prepare him/her for reintegration into the community.
- The plan will also include life-skills and competency building for income generating activities and employment. It will make provision for children to be referred to health, nutritional and legal services as necessary.
- These activities will be complemented by family tracing and sensitization of the communities of origin.
- The plan will also include follow-up support and monitoring activities through protection networks identified, trained, supervised and supported by COOPI in the communities of origin.
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Project Manager is responsible for the overall activities’ planning, execution and reporting of his/her projects
- He/she is directly assigned to, and responsible of the supervision of all logistics, HR, financial and overall functioning aspects of the projects.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of base and in link with the Program Coordinator, he/she:
- Designs the detailed work plan in line with the project guidelines and description, guaranteeing the smooth implementation of all the activities on-time, on-quality and on-budget;
- In cooperation and synergy with the project staff, plans and monitors the activities’ progress, in compliance with the contract signed with the donor, with donor’s and COOPI’s procedures, and with the specific Project Structure and Reporting Lines definition, making use of the financial instruments provided by the organization;
- In collaboration with the Administrative and the Logistics team, plans and monitors the expenditures in line with the project’s implementation needs;
- In cooperation with the Program Coordinator, finalizes the data provided by his/her team, supports the preparation, in compliance with the deadlines, of the narrative reports expected by the donors and by the partners;
- Coordinates the overall project: supervises the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the staff; monitors the accuracy and efficiency of the case management activities; in collaboration with the Child Protection team, deals with possible cases which cannot be addressed by the available and ongoing referral network;
- Contributes in consolidating the case management referral network by establishing proficient collaboration with the partners working in the targeted areas and actively suggesting gaps and recommendations to the supervisors;
- Contributes and approves the line of training designed by the Child Protection;
- In collaboration with the Program Coordinator and head of base, prepares all the formal communication and contract modification requests (ex. budget modification) of the project;
- Manages the goods purchased for the project; for all goods purchased by the project, support updates of the inventory and guarantee the respect of the policies and guidelines, in cooperation with the Logistics Office;
- In collaboration with the Program Coordinator and in synergy with the specific reporting lines of the projects, promotes and manages relations with the local government institutions, NGOs, and other local partners available in the area;
- Executes any other task necessary to good and timely completion of the projects, identified in mutual agreement.
- In coordination with the Administrative team, supports in hiring of new staff directly related to the project and conducts staff appraisals Upholds COOPI’s mission and Charter of Values;
- Follows and enforces all COOPI codes of conduct and policies (globally and in-country);
Psychosocial activities’s follow up:
- Support technically his/her team
- Contribute to the identification of psychologist issue of the beneficiaries and support the team to deal with.
- Organize technical meeting with the team and the main stakeholders
- Build his/her team capacities on Child Protection and case management
- Train project teams and local partners on approaches, methodology and tools to understand how victims of GBV and other forms of violence are affected by their involvement in armed conflict and the occurrence of fighting
- Manage directly if need be the most complicated cases.
- Train and / or re cycle teams on the proper use of situation assessment and case management tools;
- Master’s Degree in Psychology.
- At least 3 years of working experience with INGO on Child Protection area. Experience working with children associated with armed group it’s an advantage
- Good knowledge of project cycle management
- Experience in clinical psychology and / or psychopathology (victimology, medical emergency cell, etc.)
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts
- Experience in data collection, analysis, and report writing
- Excellent in English (oral and written)
- Experience in designing and conducting training in INEE and Child Protection issues especially in the areas of human rights, gender, capacity building, added advantage, SGBV
- Ability to plan, organize work, communicate and reports effectively (both in writing and verbally)
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Team player, effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, able to work in a multicultural environment
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humour
- Excellent sense of confidentiality
- Excellent listening and empathy
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads, and deadlines.
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers)
- Knowledge of and adherence to COOPI Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Deadline: 12th September, 2018