Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a child relief Non-Governmental Organization with a presence in over 30 countries of the world and more than 90 projects. Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference the lives of children in need.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash and Child Protection sectors and is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Worker
Location: Mafa, Borno
- The Health worker will work within a multidisciplinary team together with Case Worker with an aim of provision quality, safe, timely and confidential child protection case management services to boys and girls who are at risk or victims of abuse and violence.
- He/she will be in charge of implementing case management activities in accordance with Inter-agency Case Management Guidelines.
- He/she shall be based in Mafa. The job location might change based on project’s evolving needs.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Implementation of case management activities for boys and girls who are at risk or victims of abuse and violence:
- Identify boys and girls at risk and victims of abuse and violence
- Conduct assessments and prioritize them according to the risk level of each individual taking into account protection, psychosocial and medical needs and risks
- Develop an individual action plan for new identifications and ensure re-assessment of referred cases based on the evolving needs of beneficiaries
- Effectively address boys and girls protection and medical needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategy
- Establish strong partnership relations with health facilites and health care providers to facilitate timely referrals of cases for the support and services needed
- Regularly follow up the assigned cases to ensure all protection and medical services and action points listed in the case plan are carried out within agreed timeframes. Ensure that progress is regularly reviewed.
- Regularly monitor and provide support to individuals through home visits, providing guidance, advice, community mediation and referrals for medical services needed
- Establish a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological and spiritual support to boys and girls and their families
- Accept and handle referrals of protection cases done by governmental authorities and/or child protection agencies in accordance with the standardized case management steps and procedures
- When requested, conduct community outreach for the identification of the most vulnerable and at risk populations
- Work with the Case Management Team Leader to arrange case conferences for complex child protection cases and ensure children receive multidisciplinary support
- Manage cases in line with the SOPs, adhere to standard documentation processes and follow best practice guidance
- Regularly document cases using agreed upon forms, update databases to ensure a comprehensive record of the case
- Ensure that data collection and storage respect data protection protocols and confidentiality principle
- Ensure that the consent/assent to proceed with the case management is sought
- Identify, map and network with external service providers and ensure that an effective referral system is made available
- Establish and maintain positive and efficient relations with target beneficiaries, communities and all the other actors responding to the crisis
- When needed, accompany beneficiaries to external services providers (health care providers) in order to assist and facilitate their access to different type of services
- Participate in surveys and data collection when required
- Ensure timely submission of plans and reports to the line manager
- To be willing to work with a flexible working schedule (weekends included)
- Promote, and ensure project activities are in line with child protection principles and humanitarian principles
- Ensure the project activities are well-integrated into the Northeastern Nigeria child protection system and humanitarian coordination practices and guidelines
- Ensure Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Minimum Standards are mainstreamed through all the programmatic activities
- Report serious cases of abuse committed against children to the Child Protection Project Manager. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
Coordination and Representation:
- Work in close collaboration with Tdh partners and other key actors
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities and with other departments (programme and support) of Tdh Nigeria
- Participate in forum and meetings held at site level in her/his field of expertise, when relevant and necessary
- Establishment of strong communication and coordination channels with health care providers
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages (Hausa and/or Kanuri preferably) and in English (speaking/reading/writing).
- Education Degree: University degree in Nursing/Medicine
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years experience in medical practice
- Knowledge & skills: Good analytical and writing skills
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Other: Knowledge of child protection system in Northeastern Nigeria/ Excellent knowledge of child protection issues/ Previous experience in child protection is highly desirable.
- Other knowledge: Acquaintance with NGO’ rules, procedures and regulations; Acquaintance with the Inter-agency Guidelines for Case Management and Child Protection
- Work in relief or development sector
- Strong motivation to help people in needs
- Transversal skills
- Honest and trustworthy
- Reliable, rigorous and well organized
- Motivated and dedicated to his/her job
- Ability to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able and willing to learn to extend his/her scope of work
- Able to manage priorities, take initiatives and work without constant supervision
Job Title: Deputy WASH Project Manager
- The Deputy Project Manager, under the delegation and the supervision of the Project Manager, is responsible for the daily proper implementation of the TdH’s WASH operations.
TdH’s WASH Programs:
- TdH is currently working in 2 locations, Mafa (Mafa LGA) and Rann (Kala Balge LGA) by providing to both IDPs and Returnees: sustained access to safe water and adequate sanitation facilities, as well as NFI kits completed by Hygiene promotion sensitization.
- In Mafa in particular (since October 2017):
- Tdh has constructed latrines and showers, distributed basic hygiene kits, installed hand-washing points, created and strengthened local WASH committees (to facilitate community-based maintenance and operation of WASH infrastructure), maintained and repaired latrines and showers already existing, as well as diseminated hygiene promotion messages towards the population.
In Rann in particular (since June 2018):
- Sanitation: Installation of hand-washing points; building of showers and latrines, desludging or maintenance/repairs of latrines; Drainage infrastructure in flood-prone areas.
- Water Quality: Bucket chlorination in all water points in town
- Hygiene Promotion: Distribution of basic hygiene NFIs, distribution of AWD kits, Promotion of hygiene messages.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Ensure the daily implementation and the monitoring of the project(s):
- S/He implements the daily WASH activities in close coordination with the WASH PM and in direct collaboration with the WASH Officers
- S/He organizes, schedules and coordinates the WASH activities and the team’s work on a weekly basis.
- S/He monitors closely the implementation of activities at field level with site visits on a daily basis.
- S/He supervises the work schedule of the team leaders and provides them support when needed.
- S/He ensures the timely implementation of the project(s).
- S/He monitors the results achievements and indicators as per indicated in the logical framework.
- S/He develops monitoring and evaluation tools related with her/his project(s) and updates TdH project monitoring tools (PMT) on a weekly basis.
- S/He shares about the work progress with the WASH PM on a daily basis or when needed.
- S/He contributes to propose adjustments of the strategy regarding project activities if needed.
- S/He contributes to ensures proper coordination and communication with the different stakeholders (local authorities, Ministries …).
- S/He contributes to ensures that all project(s) documents are correctly filled and filed.
Contribute to the development of TdH activities in her/his sector of intervention:
- S/He participates in the needs assessments in collaboration with the WASH PM to develop other projects.
- S/He works on concept notes and proposals writing in collaboration with the WASH PM.
Manage the operational team:
- S/He contributes to launch and bring to fruition the recruitment of the operational team under her/his responsibility.
- S/He contributes to ensure the administrative HR management of his/her team (daily attendance, leaves management) in collaboration with the HR department.
- S/He contributes to ensure that her/his team complies with TdH’s internal rules (disciplinary management when needed).
- S/He contributes to ensure a regular appraisal process for her/his team and supports her/his team in building their capacities (update of job descriptions/terms of reference, training, definition and follow up of clear objectives).
- S/He contributes to ensure a constant monitoring of her/his team (general and technical).
- S/He contributes to implement and follow up safety and security rules for her/his team and transmits all safety and security information to his/her supervisor (for the team members in the governorates: the field operation manager is in charge of this task).
- S/He contributes to ensure a good communication, coordination and information level within the team through regular coordination meetings, formal reporting (or other if needed).
Manage the logistical and financial aspects of the project:
- In coordination with the Logistics Department, s/he support the WASHPM to prepare and follow up the procurement plan for her/his project(s).
- S/He support the WASHPM to issue and follow up procurements for the project needs in coordination with the Logistics Department and the Admin/Finance Department (preparation of purchase requests, checking of invoices and of payments).
- S/He contributes to ensure that the operational follow up is up-to-date and crosscheck it with the budget follow up (committed expenses) on a monthly basis.
- S/He participates in the monthly Budget Follow Up meeting in order to analyze the budget follow up and propose solutions if needed (reallocation, modification of activities, project extension…) in coordination with the Admin/Finance Department, the WASH PM and the Technical Coordinators.
- S/He supports the WASHPM to prepare the cash forecast on a monthly basis in coordination with the Admin/Finance Departments.
Represent TdH for the project(s):
- S/He participates in coordination meetings related to her/his field of work.
- S/He contributes to ensure representation of TdH (with her/his team, at field level) among partners, donors and different authorities for the areas which s/he is responsible for.
- S/He support the WASHPM to prepare and organize field visits with donors or local authorities when needed in coordination with the other Departments.
Ensure the internal and external reporting of the project:
- S/He support the WASHPM to provide internal reporting on activities according to TdH internal tools.
- S/He support the WASHPM to prepare external reporting according to the needs (reports to local authorities, donors) in coordination with the other Departments.
- University Degree, in related field to Water Engineering, Environmental Eng, Civil Engineering, Sanitation, Geology, or any other filed related to water sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Minimal 3 year of experience in implementation of WASH project
- Extensive working knowledge and experience in team management and supervision
- Demonstrated understanding of project management and leadership
- Computer proficiency in MS Office suite and Outlook is mandatory
- Required: Proactive, autonomy, rigorous, organized, planning, analytical, clear communication, work under pressure, ability to facilitate change, persuade and negotiate to reach acceptable compromise/solutions among all levels in the organization
- Desirable: willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- Fluent in English and Hausa, Kanuri (written and spoken)
- Alignment with the values, vision and mission of Tdh
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit copies of updated CV, Letter of Motivation and National ID Card and Reference Contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline 25th October, 2018
- The position must be clearly indicated in the subject of the mail.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted.