Project Procurement and Administrative Assistant Recruitment at UNODC
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Procurement and Administrative Assistant
Job ID: 19629
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One year, renewable
- This position is based within the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Nigeria (CONIG). Working under the direct supervision of the Project Procurement and Operations Officer, and the guidance of the Project Coordinator and the CONIG Procurement/Operations Manager, the incumbent will assist in the procurement and general operations and execution of the project as well as other UNODC activities as relevant.
Description of Specific Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide administrative and clerical support to the process of preparation and drafting of project work plans, budgets, project revisions, progress reports and summaries.
- Assist in the development of contacts with Government institutions and authorities, other United Nations organizations, NGOs, civil society organizations, resource persons and the media regarding the project.
- Collect, access and analyse information related to the project in view of providing background and/or complementary information for the project; regular inputs into relevant information networks, including creation and maintenance of project / country office expert rosters (databases), and additional information as requested.
- Assist in the organization of seminars, workshops and training activities of the project.
- Assists in the preparation of terms of reference, appointments, programmes and logistics for visiting experts, missions, delegations, and donor representatives through liaison with beneficiary counterparts, oversees UN staff and government authorities.
- Undertake all necessary tasks in support of procurement actions for the project.
- Assist the Project Procurement and Operations Officer in activities leading to procurement, maintenance, monitoring and disposal of items.
- Establish a project reference / archive system and maintain all project related files. Select information and records in specified format or on the basis of general instructions for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, project or programme plans and general reference documents.
- Liaise with UNDP and other relevant organizations in the implementation of the project.
- Provide support and assist staff members and their dependents by processing requests for visas, identity cards, driving licenses and other necessary personnel-related documents in accordance with the requirements of the United Nations and the Government of Nigeria.
- Make travel and hotel reservations, prepares travel orders and assembles information pertinent to the purpose of travel.
- Advise and makes arrangements for shipment and receipt of office and project supplies and equipment and household effects of project staff, including customs clearance.
- Use all UNODC relevant databases and applications for project management (ProFi, IMIS, LN) as needed for reporting and monitoring of project activities.
- Perform other duties (such as general correspondence, attendance at meetings, minutes of meetings, reports, follow-up, etc.) as required.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of concepts and approaches relevant to procurement; budgetary and financial management; Demonstrable knowledge of database administration; knowledge of the financial rules and regulations of the United Nations as well as familiarity with UN policies and procedures as they relate to programme budgeting and financial administration;
- Demonstrable commitment to the values of the United Nations, particularly integrity in daily activities and behaviours; Demonstrated professional competence and mastery of administrative processes; ability to perform a range of administrative functions, including event planning and organizing and human resources administration;
- Ability to map out potential risks and make contingencies, as required.
- Shows pride in work and achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Takes ownership of responsibilities and honours commitments;
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
- Takes responsibility for delegated assignments;
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- Willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from the clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands;
- Able to work on tight deadlines;
- Knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
- Senior Secondary Education Certificate; a recognized professional certificate in Personnel Administration, Account/Finance or related fields may be considered
- A candidate holding a Bachelor’s Degree with 3 years of experience may also considered.
- At least 6 years High School or 3 years ( with a Bachelor’s Degree) of progressively responsible experience in Administrative Assistance, Procurement, or Project Implementation and Management Preferably in a Civil Service, Ngo or International Organisation Environment
- Experience in UN financing reporting systems and reporting systems and processes (including ATLAS, and UMOJA) is a strong asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
Deadline: Midnight New York, USA; 12th December, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.