Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cash and Livelihood Program Assistant
Location: Potiskum, Yobe, Nigeria – with 50% travel
Position Status Full-time; Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation.
- With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Cash and Livelihood Program Assist will assist the Cash and Livelihood Program Officer to ensure the successful implementation of all CASH and Livelihood interventions and activities and all program areas.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist program officers to ensure program progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Assist in the coordination in Potiskum.
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep program officers and management updated regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Adhere to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly to: CASH & Livelihoods Programs Officer
- Works directly with: MEL Team, Agric Market Systems Officer, Finance, Program and Operation teams
Knowledge and Experience
- 1-2 years of working experience. Previous experience in community work is highly preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relationships with the local communities and project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- Bachelor Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience is highly recommended
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required, ability to speak Kanuri and Shuwa highly desired.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Potiskum, Yobe State and it requires up to 50 % travel to field offices in and around Potiskum.
Deadline: 8th February 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.