WaterAid is an international organisation whose mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Through their partners, they have reached 2 million people with safe water and 3 million people with sanitation last year.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of People & Organizational Development
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Full time/ Permanent
Reports to: Country Director
Manages: Human Resource & Admin Officer, Security & Logistics Manager
Budget responsibility: £200,000 per annum
Travel: 10% of time (local and international)
- WaterAid Nigeria country strategy (2016-2021) sets a 5 year building block towards delivering a more influencing led programme over a 15-year horizon. The strategy outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyse change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria. The large population and severity of the WASH crisis in Nigeria represents an opportunity and challenge. WaterAid Nigeria has the status of a priority country to reflect the level of focus and commitment the organizational places on the work in Nigeria.
- The People and Organisational Development (POD) department focuses on performing a catalytic role in supporting the rest of the Country Programme in effectively and efficiently delivering the strategic goals. The spheres of support include human resources management; general office management and administration; procurement; security, safety, and travel management. The OD remit include ensuring effectiveness to the country programme organisation structure, effective management of change processes and ways of working (systems and processes, etc).
- The department also inputs into the OD support of partner organisations (to ensure partner effectiveness) in close collaboration with other departments, in line with WaterAid global ways of working.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Head of People & Organisational Development (HPOD) is responsible for developing and implementing people, organisational development and administration plans which enable the Country Programme to achieve its strategy, goals and the priority country action plan.
- With a deep understanding of the Country Programme (CP) strategy and context, you will develop and embed appropriate people and organisational solutions, policies and practices.
- You will also oversee the CP’s administration function, procurement, logistics, security and safety and spend up to 10% of your time working with the Global People Team to build strong WaterAid people practices.
- The jobholder will also play a key in shaping the West Africa regional People Agenda as key member of the regional HR Network
People and Organisational Development:
- Develop and Implement CP People and Organisational Development (OD) Plans: Develop a clear understanding of the CP people, capacity and structural needs with the Senior Management Team (SMT) and lead in the finalization and delivery of a people and OD plan and strategy which supports delivery of CP strategy.
- Work effectively as a full member of the Senior Management Teams: Be collectively responsible for the overall leadership of the Country Programme. Promote and embed WaterAid’s values and leadership competencies.
- Support and deliver effective change management: Support managers to implement, communicate and sustain change programmes by ensuring clarity on the rationale for change, the future vision, what needs to be done and the expected impact. Bring HR expertise to diagnose the change requirements across structure, people, skills and ways of working.
- Embed a Performance Management Culture: Embed and role-model a strong performance management culture and processes. Coach staff and managers in agreeing SMART appraisal objectives, holding honest conversations, delivering feedback and recognising success. Hold managers accountable for managing under performance and implementing performance improvement plans where required.
- Resourcing: Identify skills and capabilities required to deliver current and future CP work. Develop an annual resourcing plan and support and challenge managers to make timely resourcing choices which secure the best talent. Use appropriate, effective and creative recruitment and selection approaches
- Induction: Ensure new and transitioning employees receive a planned, effective and timely induction, and coach managers on their role in delivering this.
- Identify and maximise potential: Support managers in identifying and maximising potential and drive development through succession planning and individual development planning to meet CP skills & capability needs.
- Learning and Development: Coach Managers to identify employee learning and career aspirations and agree effective development plans. Recommend suitable learning methods and develop an annual CPs learning and development plan, supported by learning initiatives from the global people team.
- Leadership and Management Development: Work with the Regional People Lead and global Leadership and Engagement Teams to build Line Manager capability and behaviours.
- Reward and Payroll: Manage and continuously improve CP reward ensuring an appropriate mix of pay, benefits and non-pay rewards in line with WaterAid’s reward principles and national legislation. Contribute to reward benchmarking and coach managers in talking to employees about total reward. Ensure payroll and reward is delivered and communicated effectively.
- Employee Engagement: Foster high levels of employee engagement, including staff participation in the Global Employee Engagement survey (GEES) and line manager capability, activating GEES action plans.
- People Policies and Processes: Develop and maintain all CP people policies, processes, administration. Ensuring the staff handbook is kept up to date and in line with current statutory legislation and WaterAid global policies (i.e., employment contracts, starters, leavers and change processes) and standards. Provide in-country management and user support on WaterAid Human Resources Information System (People Place).
- Effective Management of Employee Relations: Provide specialist advice and instruction to managers on employee relations issues (i.e. disciplinary, grievance, capability, bullying and harassment) in line with CP policy, Global WaterAid policies and statutory legislation, working with legal providers as needed.
- Diversity Management: Give accurate and appropriate advice, training and support to managers to recognise, respect and enable diversity and inclusion.
- People Reporting: Collate and accurately analyse people data and metrics for use within the Country Programme and organisational wide people reporting.
- Work with the wider Global People team: Support the development and delivery of global and regional people projects, sharing learning and resources across the network.
- Security Management: Seek guidance from the Global /Regional Security Manager to implement effective security processes and behaviours.
- Partner OD: Contribute to and support Partner’s Organisational Development in close collaboration with other departments/ teams within the country programme, leading on ensuring adequate support to partner organisations.
- Support and coach team for effective delivery of targets (HR, Admin., Security & Safety, Employee Well-Being, etc).
- Supervise the development and implementation of effective administrative systems and processes for the CP.
- Develop and review of administrative policies for the CP, ensuring compliance.
- Ensure that WaterAid assets are adequately maintained and safeguarded
- Ensure that all external administrative transactions with service providers are in line with WaterAid policies and values e.g. procurement, selection of consultants, equipment/material suppliers and vehicle maintenance
Security & Staff Safety:
- Support the CP security focal point to develop sound security management and support within the CP, in collaboration with the Regional People Lead, Regional Security Advisor and Global Security Manager.
- Ensure that security incidents are reported/ escalated in timely manner to Regional People Lead, Regional Security Advisor and other relevant stakeholders across WaterAid
- Ensure strict compliance to WaterAid/ CP security policies and employee code of conduct
- Actively participate and contribute to effectiveness of the West Africa Regional People Network and Global HR Community.
- Contribute to Senior Management Team (SMT) effectiveness/ decision making and strategic leadership of the CP by providing advice and support to Country Director and SMT on People/OD and other management matters
- Contribute to effectiveness of the Country Management Team (CMT) & other team planning and effective functioning of the CP (e.g. budget holders meetings, APRT, etc)
- Actively participate in WaterAid West Africa Regional Management Team (RMT) and other international meetings as may be required
- Prepare and manage the annual People & Organisational Development Plan and departmental plan and budgets. And monitor and report against plans and budget on periodic basis in line with CP procedures and policies
- Deliver the people related aspects of the priority country action plan
- Any other duties as required by the Country Director or Regional People Lead/Global People Team
- Master’s degree level qualification in Human Resources Management, Organisation Psychology or a Master’s degree in Business Administration
- Professional HR qualification highly desirable
Experience and skills:
- Significant HR operational management experience within a team environment. A minimum of 5 years’ experience at senior management level handling responsibility for recruitment, employee relations, reward, performance management, employment legislation, change management, organisational design, capacity building, policy design and processes and learning and development
- Strong knowledge of HR best practice and innovative new practices
- Highly competent in interpreting and applying statutory employment legislation.
- Experience in managing an administration function and knowledge of procurement and logistics
- A passion for and interest in understanding the INGO sector and WaterAid.
- A networker, proactively bringing best practice ideas to the CP.
- Strategic thinker able to identify annual people plans.
- Ability to consider an issue or opportunity from a wider perspective
- Track record of empowering others and the ability to influence.
- Able to evaluate information and apply intuition and strong judgement
- Able to influence and support and challenge senior managers and seen as a credible source of advice
- People and delivery focused, with the ability to plan, organise and flex to competing priorities and deadlines
- Able to consult and also make effective decisions
- Effective and engaging communicator who tailors communications to include and engage different audiences
- Able to promote cross team collaboration and form effective working relationships with people from across the organisation
- Demonstrates WaterAid’s values and leadership behaviours
- Willing and able to travel to WaterAid and partner locations within the CP with occasional travel to other countries in the region and head office in London.
- People leadership
- Training and Facilitation
- Team building
- Excellent written and oral skills in English
- Strong IT skills particularly MS Word, Excel and Outlook, with experience of using HR databases, online recruitment tools and Intranets
- Analytical thinking and numeracy skills, to produce and distil accurate information and reports.
- Adaptability and learning
- Organisation design & Development
- Performance Management
- Change Management
- Skills Capacity Building
- Team Building
- Leadership development.
Competitive with excellent benefits (Grade G).
Deadline: 9th March, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online