Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the global arm of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for more than 125 years. HAI implements programs in nearly a dozen countries on a range of global human rights issues, providing mental health and psychosocial services, access to justice for survivors of conflict or abuse, and high-quality stigma-free healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Informatics and Management Information Systems (HMIS) Specialist
Req ID: 5856
- Heartland Alliance International – Nigeria seeks a Health Informatics and Management Information Systems (HMIS) Specialist for its integrate most at risk population HIV prevention program (IMHIPP) funded by USAID. The project is in its last phase of program implementation
- The Integrated MARPs HIV Prevention Program (IMHIPP) contributes to improving the quality of life of the most marginalized persons and groups by providing equitable access to healthcare, social and economic justice in a supportive and rights-based environment
- The primary focus is on addressing gender exclusion and gaps in HIV prevention, care and treatment programming in Nigeria.
Scope of Work
- The Health Informatics and Systems Specialist will support the SKM team with Strategic Analysis (SA) serving as the focal point for all issues related to health informatics, high level statistical data analysis using Rand Python
- The HMIS specialist would manage the development and maintenance of HAI Performance Indicator Database System (PIDS) and architecture
- The HMIS Specialist should have a solid background in both Management Information System (MIS) technology, geographic information system, (GIS) and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E).
Activities will Include but not be limited to the following:
- The HMIS Specialist’s first responsibility is to support the HAI M&E team to bridge all capacity gaps developing and sustaining robust and strong M&E systems infrastructure and complex architecture to respond to USAID needs
- This would ensure we are up to speed with NDR, EMR, and our traditional DMEL and able to perform our jobs independently within 6 months
- Ability to transfer skills would be strong basis for decision making for this position.
- The Specialist will provide technical support to the HAI Nigeria SKM team across the country to respond to all data request and incoming PIDS queries
- He/She will manage PIDS software development for HAI
- The Specialist will provide a key role in adaption of new technologies required to facilitate communication between HAI system and the donor.
- The Specialist will support the development of a web portal for knowledge management activities, consolidating MIS/GIS and other project documents and reports through a single, user-friendly web-interface.
- The Specialist will support HAI and local implementing partners (LIPs) to interpret, understand and make use of program and related national data from program and surveys through comparative analytical reporting tools to enhance decision support.
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience in both information technology and Monitoring and Evaluation, with appropriate degrees in relevant fields.
Support Ethical Review Board (IRB) Processes:
- For Nigeria to ensure protection of participant data and confidentiality through IRB process and implementation of study based on ethical standards.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health, Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum seven years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating large, multi-year international health sector development projects (approximately $5 -10M per year)
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, operations research, health management information systems, reporting, data quality assessments, data analysis and presentation
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors
- Familiarity with Nigeria’s health management information system and other national M&E systems, experience living and working in Nigeria preferred
- Experience and understanding of the USAID SI framework and reporting system
- Strong technical skills, including ability to process and analyze data using one or more statistical software packages, including at least one of the following: SPSS, Epi-Info, Stata, MS Access. The Specialist should be knowledgeable in Java, Python, SOL, etc.
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, government agencies and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team- building, and representational skills
- Expertise in research to practice – identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity of projects staff and technical staff
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally on needs basis.
Deadline: 23rd April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should e-mail a full CV detailing all relevant professional experience and achievements, a Cover Letter detailing qualifications in relation to the position, and three professional references to: email@example.com The subject of the e-mail should be the Job Title.
Note: Females are strongly encouraged to apply.