The Postgraduate College, University of Ibadan, Nigeria invites applications for the position below:
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The first postgraduate degree of the University was awarded in 1952 when it was still a University College under the scheme of the special relationship with the University of London. By 1962, when the University College transformed into the independent University of Ibadan, there were 64 students registered for higher degrees, some of whom decided to transfer their registration to the University of Ibadan.
The Fellow will work full time on analysis of large datasets of different research studies; manuscript production for submission to peer reviewed International Journals. The Fellow will also learn and assist in the development of proposals for new grant applications. University of Ibadan is the first and Nigeria’s leading higher institution of learning and is well recognised worldwide for its research excellence. Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Non-communicable Diseases (NCDs) Epidemiology
The position promises to be very exciting and challenging:
- The fellow will work full time and undertake research with a team of investigators working on the Epidemiology of diverse Non-communicable diseases.
- The fellow will be directly supervised by the Principal Statistician of the team.
- The research emphasis will be on the epidemiology of cardiovascular and Cardio-metabolic diseases (including other diseases associated with ageing); and life style factors such as alcohol/substance use, Tobacco use, Physical inactivity etc.
- Among others things, the Fellow will work with existing datasets from NIH-funded research studies on the indicated areas.
- The Fellow will also have the opportunity of joining the team of investigators in the preparation of proposals for new grant applications.
- Extension of the fellowship is very likely but dependent on the Fellow’s productivity.
The fellow must meet and exceed the performance expectations of this job including:
- Draft of at least a scientific manuscript or a review or a book chapter per month and present conference/seminar papers related to the research when there is opportunity.
- Undertake independent and high-quality research under limited supervision in the research focus areas.
- Assist with the preparation of applications for research funding.
- Analyse and interpret data as required.
- Assist in supervising and mentoring research by higher degree students.
Eligibility and Expected Documents
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Have completed a PhD Degree in not more than 5 years prior to this call.
- Provide evidence of completion of a Doctoral Degree in a field of Public Health or other related disciplines.
- Provide a one page document describing the level of his/her ability to use any of the following statistical software: R, SPSS (including SPSS SYTAX) or STATA.
- Provide a one page document describing your ability and commitment to achieving the publication record (including the items listed under key accountabilities) that satisfies the performance expectations for this job.
- Provide at least 2 first authored and most important publications relevant to this call. Please submit full PDF copy of the published version of these publications as single file Titled PUBLICATIONS.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with a range of people and organisations.
- Be able to secure a leave covering the period of this engagement, if currently working.
- Willingness to stay in a Postgraduate hall of the University of Ibadan, if candidates wants campus accommodation.
- The candidate will enjoy the benefits accruing to the status of Research Fellow II in University of Ibadan less Housing allowances.
- The appointment shall be for 1 year with possibility of extension, depending on Fellow’s productivity.
- The Fellow will be provided accommodation within the Postgraduate Hall of the University of Ibadan.
- The fellow will be listed on all manuscripts that he/she substantially contributed.
Deadline: Friday, 31st May, 2019, 11:50 GMT.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Reference letters and Application with Cover Letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role, your full CV listing all publications, all requested documents and relevant publications as described under eligibility & expected documents above, to: email@example.com
- This position is open to applicants who have unrestricted work rights in Nigeria for the duration of the fixed-term appointment.
- Please send the published version of the 2 publications as a combined single PDF file and all other documents as a combined single MS Word file with clear demarcations.
- At least two Referees must send a support letter independently to the email provided before the deadline.