Job for Program Coordinator, WASH at Malteser International
Malteser International delivers humanitarian assistance to the affected population (IDPs, host communities and refugees) in Nigeria in response to the current famine crisis and displacement in the region since July 2017. In cooperation with a local partner we are implementing a comprehensive project for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and are setting up a Mental Health / Psychosocial Support Treatment Component for traumatized people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Coordinator, WASH (m/f/d)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Malteser International has been working in Nigeria since 2017. In Northeast Nigeria and more specifically in Borno State, MI is currently active in the WASH sector for improving the lives of both the IDP population as well as the host communities. The WASH activities focus on improved access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene
- They include NFI distribution, solarization of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand pumps, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion. Malteser International thereby applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach.
- In support of our work in Northeast Nigeria, Malteser International is looking for a motivated Program Coordinator WASH (m/f/d).
- As a Program Coordinator, you will be in charge of the management, coordination and development of the overall program in Northeast Nigeria
- You will be responsible to supervise and guide the program team to achieve set targets and ensure sound project cycle management of the interventions in line with Malteser International’s policies, procedures and guidelines
- You will also be responsible to write high quality reports on program status and achievements and develop new proposals for the program in Nigeria
- Furthermore, you will hold representational and coordinating functions on local and national level.
- Oversee and manage program operations and project implementation, ensuring high quality and adherence to internal and external standards including high technical WASH standards
- Ensure timely planning and implementation of program activities according to approved plans and budgets (monitoring of objectives and related indicators)
- Management, supervision and coaching of 1-2 international and up to 30 national staff
- Provide proper and regular reporting in compliance with donor and Malteser International standards (monthly, interim and final reports)
- Establish correct application of internal Malteser International and donor guidelines on procurement, HR procedures, finance (budget control, review and compliance) and administration
- Assure proper feedback and monitoring mechanisms are in place and implemented
- Monitor the humanitarian situation, evaluate current response and recommend immediate adaptations and future strategies
- Strongly coordinate the response and represent Malteser International within the humanitarian sector
- Build and maintain good relations with target communities, government authorities and international and national organisations on local, state and national level
- Strengthen donor relations, assess funding opportunities and develop project proposals for new or follow-on projects (narrative proposal, logframe and budget)
- Monitor security situation and maintain/adapt security and safety guidelines; ensure that all staff are informed regularly
- At least five years of senior level experience in humanitarian and transitional aid projects in the sector of WASH
- WASH relevant University Degree in Engineering
- Extensive experience and ability in planning, implementing, monitoring and managing comprehensive projects including proposal and report writing within an international context and challenging operating environments; working experience in Nigeria desirable
- Proven experience and excellent ability to successfully develop a multi-donor program based on international and donor standards (e.g. German government, GIZ, ECHO, CBPF)
- Proven experience to lead, support and coach teams in a trustful and culturally sensitive way
- Experience in the security management of staff, operations, assets through briefings und security management plan based on up to date information
- Proven communication skills including the ability to effectively motivate people and to diplomatically manage the relationship with different authorities and donors
- Physical and mental strength to work in live in hardship location
- Excellent written and spoken English; knowledge of German would be an asset
- Proven experience of assessing and developing relations with local partner organizations would be an asset
- Start Date: 01 September, 2019
- Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent travel to field locations and Abuja
- Duration of contract: 12 months, extension very likely
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, accommodation in team house, one home flight per year of employment, 30 paid leave days per year plus 11 public holidays, R&R every 12 weeks
- Please note this is an unaccompanied position
Deadline: 3rd July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Please submit your Application (CV, meaningful letter of motivation and 3 references).