Recruitment at International Organization for Migration, 15th June, 2019
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Program Officer (MHPSS)
SVN No.: SVN2019/79
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Mental Health & Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)
Position Grade: A- National Officer
Type of Appointment: Contract Basis, 06 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has been implementing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) projects in North East Nigeria since 2014
- The projects seek to address the psychosocial needs of the displaced populations and their host community, as affected by the on-going emergency.
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission/Head of Sub-office, and under direct supervision of the Program manager (Mental Health and Psychosocial Support), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support projects in North East Nigeria, as part of the emergency response.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support psychosocial- protection mainstreaming activities and support MHPSS program manager in the MHPSS-protection activities coordination and projects’ budget monitoring
- Liaise and coordinate with relevant stakeholders such as government actors, UN agencies, NGOs and civil society in relation to the project activities, including representing IOM in relevant sector working group meetings.
- Ensure consolidation of reports from the PSS teams and provide inputs for weekly and bi weekly reports as well as for any other relevant documents being developed.
- Ensure the maintenance of a proper documentation and filing systems of the project activities
- Participate in the development of new projects in coordination with the project officer based on identified needs during project implementation
- Promote and facilitate the integration of cross-cutting issues such as protection, gender, child protection, counter trafficking and other vulnerable groups are included in the project implementation.
- Undertake duty travel to very challenging areas when necessary.
- Support implementation of psychosocial support activities through overall coordination of the psychosocial support (PSS) mobile teams on the ground, including the development of workplans of team members, coordinating their deployment and tracking of activities to ensure achievements of targets.
- Provide technical and managerial guidance and monitoring to the PSS teams through provision of weekly supervisions, on the job training and field monitoring of the activities to ensure quality standards are met are in line with the relevant guidelines and project indicators.
- Supervise project assistants and PSS mobile teams.
- Provide direct MHPSS technical support, either directly or as in-service supervision for the teams in close coordination with MHPSS manager and program technical staff.
- Develop in coordination with the project manager a capacity building plan for the PSS mobile teams and coordinate its implementation.
- Perform any other duties that the supervisor may assign.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Experience managing and providing technical guidance to implementing partners in West Africa;
- Strong computer skills, particularly MS Office suite and database, php/Java, MYQSL/ORACLE. Advance knowledge of Excel;
- Master’s Degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably Psychology, Counselling, Social Sciences or Bachelor’s Degree in the above fields with a minimum of two years professional experience and participation in IOM corporate training in MHPSS an asset
- Experience working with national and international NGOs in implementing cross-border activities;
- Experience in remote control management of partners;
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Value: Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & Transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and Sharing Knowledge:
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
- Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization’s vision and purpose.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
Empowering Others & Building Trust:
- Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
- Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
- Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking & vision
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied for on the subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line “SVN2019.79 Maiduguri. National Program Officer (NOA)”
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.