UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Private Sector Liaison Consultant
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: 01-Sep-2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
- UN Women is seeking to engage a Private Section Liaison Consultant to facilitate cooperation with the private sector to promote women’s empowerment and gender equality in Nigeria, in line with the objectives of the Spotlight Initiative.
- The principles cover the following areas: Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality; Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and non-discrimination; Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers; Promote education, training and professional development for women; Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women; Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy; Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Social Science, Economics, Gender Studies, International Development, Law, Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations, or other related field.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in working with the private sector in Nigeria
- Experience working on issues of women’s empowerment and gender equality, including on ending gender-based violence
- Good knowledge of the SDGs and women’s empowerment principles
- Demonstrated ability to work independently; ability to organize work efficiently and deal with multiple tasks
- Excellent oral and written English language skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working integrally with UN Women’s Spotlight Team spearheaded by the Deputy Country Representative , and under the direct supervision of UN Women’s Country Representative, the Private Sector Liaison Consultant will be expected to undertake the following functions:
- Liaison and partnership management with the private sector
- Oversee the delivery of gender technical support services to private sector companies
- Facilitate knowledge sharing, good practices dissemination and the use of innovations to promote the private sector’s role in advancing gender equality
Liaison and partnership management with the private sector:
- Undertake a mapping exercise of the private sector in Nigeria to identify opportunities for engagement and partnership with UN Women, including with respect to preventing and responding to sexual and gender-based violence
- Convene consultative dialogues with the private sector to educate businesses on the importance of investing in the thematic areas of priority of UN Women’s work in Nigeria, particularly with respect to ending violence against women and girls, and make a business case for private sector involvement
- Facilitate the dissemination of knowledge and relevant research on women’s empowerment and gender equality to private sector companies to facilitate partnership-building
Oversee the delivery of gender technical support services to private sector companies:
- Oversee the provision of targeted, costed technical support services to companies to improve the gender-responsiveness of their internal policies, and support companies to adopt the Women Empowerment Principles (WEPs)
- Facilitate the use by private sector companies of the WEP Gender Gap Analysis Tool to identify strengths, gaps, and opportunities to improve their performance on gender equality
- Facilitate the design and delivery of training activities targeted to private sector companies to enhance knowledge and commitment on their role on supporting strategies for ending violence against women and enhancing gender-responsiveness of their internal policies and CSR programming activities.
Facilitate knowledge sharing, good practices dissemination and the use of innovations to promote the private sector’s role in advancing gender equality:
- Facilitate the establishment of a Private Sector “He for She” platform to identify male champions in the private sector who can promote gender equality and advocate for ending violence against women and girls
- Oversee the development of an ‘e-directory’ of private sector organizations that support women’s empowerment, in collaboration with key partners and stakeholders.
Planning and Organizing:
- Ability to plan work assignments, establish priorities and to meet strict assignment deadlines.
- Compelling communication (verbal and written) skills, including ability to write reports, formulate and defend sound recommendations and articulate options concisely conveying maximum necessary information;
- Negotiating skills and ability to work at all levels with others to reach mutually benefiting and lasting understandings.
- Excellent facilitation skills and experience facilitating meeting and conferences with diverse audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills; capacity to recognize and respond appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture.
Management and Leadership:
- Build strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate good listening skills and responsiveness to the opinion of others.
Deadline: 26th July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online