Graduate Recruitment at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer (Maternity Cover)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Area Director/DCD North-East
- Under the guidance of the advocacy coordination team and direct supervision of Area Director, the Communication Officer will support the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy plans to increase the standing and awareness of AAH with partners, the media and the communities.
- S/he will be responsible for planning and communication related support in the efficient and effective execution of project activities.
- S/he will advocate and promote the work and position of AAH at State Level and will also work closely with project teams, Government officials, private sector, non-government and civil society organizations.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Supports the formulation and implementation of project advocacy and communications plans:
- Liaise closely with Advocacy Coordination team to develop and support the integration of new communication approaches, tools and techniques into AAH programming in the State.
- Undertake regular visits to all intervention sites to monitor communication messaging, use of tools and materials and to identify challenges and solutions.
- Manage image and video library for communication, reporting and other needs.
- Organization and implementation of the celebration of international/national days and campaigns (Global Handwashing Day etc).
- Working with the advocacy coordination team, liaise with media outlets to ensure that the appropriate information and messages are reaching the public, including preparing press releases.
- Create messaging materials designed to target beneficiaries and relevant actors on the design and delivery of AAH programming.
- Document and share good practices and lessons learnt from the programme’s activities through the development of regular updates reports, case studies, briefs and IEC materials
- Support staff capacity building, particularly the Behaviour Change Communication staff in use of communication tools, materials and approaches.
Objective 2 – Collect evidence based information and testimonies that AAH can use to inform programming and advocacy:
- Collect and provide evidence based information, specifically around challenges and concerns, to inform state and national level advocacy.
- Work with Project Managers to develop project briefs for all projects and follow up to ensure such briefs are validated and uploaded in AAH database.
- Collect testimonies and stories from the beneficiaries that can be used for advocacy at a national and international level.
- Mobilize staff and partners to ensure increased participation in AAH social media and other on-line platforms.
- Organize learning, knowledge sharing and capitalization workshops to enable lessons learned to be used in future program designs as well as build institutional capacity of external stakeholders.
Internal & External Relationship
- Others Managers: Exchange of information and coordination (integrated approach), but close collaboration with Security Service Manager
- Coordinators : Exchange of information and collaboration on program issues
- Area Director/DCD North East: Hierarchical relationship – reporting, exchange of information and collaboration on program, operational and security issues
- Operations Support Coordinator: Collaboration and exchange of information on relations with Government Institutions at district level, operational and security issues
- Area Coordinator: Work very closely to provide information, specifically around challenges and concerns within the humanitarian response.
- Advocacy Manager: Exchange of information, collaboration, coordination on early recovery, policy and development agenda.
- Governmental and non-governmental partners: Exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on choice of technical options
- International and Local Aid Organizations: Exchange of information
- Donor representatives: Hosting field visits, exchange of information
- Cluster and other coordination forums
- Bachelor’s degree from reputed university in Mass Communications & Journalism, Media Studies, Communications Strategy, Development Communication or relevant discipline.
- At least 1- 2 years of relevant experience in providing communication packages to promote the activities of organization, preferably in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Good photography and videography skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of video and photo editing software’s.
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive
- Excellent team player
- Previous experience with communication duties
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word) and graphic designing
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to AAH mission, values and policy
- Familiar with Northeast Nigeria context
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Previous experience with AAH
- Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri.
- Administrative and management competence would be an asset
Deadline: 23rd July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.