Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: System Strengthening Manager
Location: Dutse, Jigawa
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Project Manager
Tasks & Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Strengthen government ownership, governance and policy to sustain and scale up quality, inclusive and accountable nutrition and health interventions:
- In collaboration with Nutrition Sector Manager, carry out analysis of trends and drivers of malnutrition at the state, LGA and facility level and conduct capacity review and threshold setting for targeted HF.
- Work with SMOH and SPHCDA to organize a workshop towards defining and costing of surge actions and subsequent incorporation into the AOP.
- Work strategically with the state parliamentarians based on project objectives and provide necessary support from the program in a bid to increase nutrition visibility at the state level
- Work with SMOH and ministry of education on the incorporation of nutrition into school curriculum
- Provide TA to the state on the integration of Procurement and distributions of health and nutrition commodities into the state logistics management system with clear SOPs and tools for forecasting, distribution, storage and reporting
- Support the expansion of Rapidpro to capture other areas of interventions
- Work closely with SMOH and SMBP on the best strategy for the coordination of training of frontline health workers across the state
- Work with SMOH on the selection and TOT training of dedicated master trainers within the state structure to facilitate and lead the training of frontline health workers through the coordination centre
- Support SMOH to develop annual training plan and incorporation into the state AOP to ensure consistent funding for training
- Provide technical support to SMOH in the development of AOP to ensure all identified gaps in the health system are strategically captured
- In close collaboration with the advocacy team, support SMOH and SPHCMB in the adoption and institutionalization of CHIPS program and subsequent implementation at the selected LGAs
- Update stakeholder contact information at the state level and targeted local government level for nutrition and health sector on a regular basis.
- Develop health facility matrix for tracking gaps in service provisions, HRH, supplies, technical capacities, information management and availability of policies/guidelines at state and health facility level
Objective 2 – Support and strengthen community participation in health system:
- Support government through the provision of technical assistance to identify the gaps in nutrition human resource.
- Work with SMOH and SPHCDA to develop a human resource development plan based on the gap’s analysis.
- Provide TA to the State Committee on Food and Nutrition and support any initiative emanating thereof.
- Support the implementation of the adapted BFHI policy at the state level and designation of targeted facilities as baby friendly.
- Support Program Manager to organize workshops and meetings at state level in regards to HSS
- Actively participate in the development of a toolbox of nutrition interventions with costings to serve as a guide for States to implement nutrition programmes leveraging on opportunities
- In close collaboration with Nutrition team organize nutrition and health media jingles and campaign towards increasing the visibility of national MIYCN SBCC strategy
- Conduct a State Drivers of change (SDOC) assessment, to include a stakeholder and power mapping to provide the provisional listing of the networks and influencers to engage with in coordination with advocacy team
- Provide TA to the team on Political Economy analysis (PEA) at the state level
- Assess current funding for nutrition and health with the estimates from the 5 years costed multi–sectoral plans to identify the funding gaps in the state
Objective 3 – Project Management:
- This position is responsible to support program Manager for budget planning, expenditure tracking related to HSS activities planned under the project. Some of the project management related work will be:
- Support MPM in developing HSS timeline
- Review and update budget planning including HSS related follow up regular activities on a regular basis and share with N/H project manager.
- Maintain close collaboration with state MoH, primary health care agencies and LGA public health coordinators
- Lead coordination with state government and non-government partners working in the targeted LGAs on a periodic basis in close coordination with Nutrition and Health Sector manager.
- Support MPM in developing financial forecast in line with the HSS timelines and planning at different level
- Ensure close collaboration with HR and Finance during recruitment planning, screening and finalization process for HSS related positions
- Ensure close collaboration with logistic and finance during planning of workshops, trainings and/or meeting that requires financial advances and/or logistical procurement etc.
- Ensure close collaboration with logistic during any assessment planning, data collection for arranging transportation and other logistical aspects
Objective 4 – Follow up of the HSS action plan with AAH teams and external stakeholders working in the targeted LGAs:
- Support LGAs in planning and budgeting for health and nutrition service delivery in reference to identified gaps.
- With support from program manager, develop follow up mechanism and tools for tracking progress on the agreed HSS action plans
- Organize periodic observation visits and update the follow-up tools
- Engage with State HIS officers to follow up on the progress on reporting
- Engage with all respective government counterpart such as SMoH, SPHCMB, Monitoring and Evaluation team (DHIS2 officers) during the follow-up and share with them the progress on a regular basis
Objective 5 – Information management, reporting and coordination:
- Liaise with N/H teams and ensure that health facility matrix, 4W/5W are updated by the respective teams and archived.
- Organize and lead the LGA based monthly coordination meetings and support LGA teams on structuring LGA coordination mechanisms with health workers and partners
- Participate in the relevant cluster meetings and other related forum at district or governorate level as and when requested by the PM or in absence of PM.
- Conduct regular meetings with other ACF sector or partners to discuss and document lessons learned
- Regularly report and coordinate with line mangers regarding challenges, issues faced in the field for timely and appropriate decision making.
- Ensure that attendance sheet are used and maintained by the teams for on-job coaching sessions, workshops/meetings and refresher trainings
- Identify key progresses, gaps and challenges with proposed solutions from the monthly follow up visits, health facility matrix updates and inform N/H project manager
- Closely coordinate with State/LGA representatives from SMoH and health care agencies responsible for service delivery for the targeted LGAs
Objective 6 – Performance Management:
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes; 10 minutes monthly conversation, 3 months/end of probation performance appraisal and annual/ end of contract appraisal.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, identify strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support.
Internal & External Relationship
- State Program manager: Line manager
- HSS Officer : Direct Line management
- Field Co/Field manager: exchange of information
- Nutrition and Health HoD : technical reference – technical support – exchange of information, coordination
- Nutrition & Health sector manager & Advocacy team: regular collaboration and coordination; exchange of information
- Logistic/HR/Finance Managers: functional collaboration and exchange of information
- Other sectorial team; Exchange of information, coordination
- SPHCDA, SMOH, SMBP:direct technical and facilitation support, Close collaboration, training and workshop facilitation support.
- LGA Team/ Health facility team: Training, supportive supervision, exchange of information, coordination.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine/Public Health/Nursing/Nutrition or related field
- Certificate in project management for development will be an added advantage
Skills & Experience
- 4 years’ work experience in the development sector
- Good understanding of Nigeria health system structure
- Previous role at coordination/supervisory level is required
- Fluency in spoken and written English language. Hausa language will be added advantage
- Understanding of Nigeria political dynamics and structure is required
- Experience of working in partnership with or directly with Ministry of Health is preferable
- Ability to plan and organize work Independent with appropriate follow through while paying close attention to detail and can read and abstract information from a variety of formats.
- Ability to delegate and follow up of task among teams
- Ability to understand and to interpret the nature of human behavior
- Ability to manage wide range of stakeholders for collaboration, coordination and consultation.
Deadline: 16th July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.