Latest Recruitment at at ICAP (Columbia University), August, 2019
ICAP is a global health leader situated at Columbia University, ICAP has worked since 2003 with one central goal: to improve the health of families and communities.
Working hand-in-hand with individuals at every level of the health system–from patients to health care providers to government officials – ICAP is dedicated to delivering high-performing health system strengthening initiatives that provide quality and affordable health care. The organization tackles the world’s most pressing health threats and, in collaboration with partners around the world, implements transformative solutions to meet the health needs of individuals.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Surveillance Specialist
- Reporting to the Technical Director for Programs in Abuja, Nigeria, the Laboratory Surveillance Specialist, provides technical assistance to implementing partners rolling out recency testing under TRACE and contribute to protocol development, training preparations, including procurement and training materials development, site monitoring and data capture, data review and analysis.
- The Laboratory Surveillance Specialist will closely collaborate with HQ-based Senior Laboratory Surveillance Advisor and regional Laboratory Advisors.
- This position is grant funded.
- Work closely with the Senior Technical Advisor for Laboratory Surveillance to provide guidance, support and training to a highly skilled team of in-country laboratory specialists
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures (SOPs) for laboratory components of the program, including but not limited to specimen collection, storage, transport, testing as well as data management and flow, and routine data reviews as needed for Nigeria
- Develop and implement quality control measures required for monitoring specimen quality and storage conditions, as well as data completeness and consistency across multiple sources of data including laboratory instruments and routine clinical data at targeted site
- Provide TA to MOH staff to establish routine, continuous quality improvement (CQI) processes for rapid recency testing/testing algorithm, including continuous training and quality
- Provide technical assistance to MOH staff on laboratory surveillance domains, including HIV recency testing, quality control, data capture, analysis, and interpretation.
- Represent the program on consultations and meetings related to laboratory surveillance issues.
- Liaise with other members of multidisciplinary project teams, including leadership, laboratory, strategic information, clinical and procurement and operational staff, as needed
- Work closely with strategic information team staff to manage and analyze HIV recency data
- Review of the laboratory-related aspects of HIV recency testing and counseling, protocol design, training, implementation and evaluation to ensure consistency and quality
- Develop, adapt and review training materials for recency workshops and participate as a facilitator for all Nigeria-based trainings
- Implementation of strategies to strengthen and enhance laboratory systems infrastructure and capacity within Nigeria, including strategies to build the skills of in-country laboratory personnel to manage and participate in data collection and analysis
- Perform other duties, as directed.
- BS or preferably MS in Laboratory Science or related field
Experience, Skills & Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in laboratory services and laboratory management
- Demonstrated technical expertise in laboratory management, quality assurance, quality control, biosafety, document development, specimen management, and use of electronic information systems within a laboratory context
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English
- Previous experience working to support the establishment and operations of laboratory systems in preferably in Nigeria but also other Sub-Saharan African countries
- Experience in HIV diagnostics, including HIV rapid tests and laboratory-based HIV tests, and training expertise on such tests
- Experience in HIV incidence testing as part of surveys, preferably HIV LAg-Avidity testing
- Participated in national-level surveillance studies (ANC, IBBS, DHS, PHIA, etc.) and demonstrated technical expertise in routine laboratory, clinical and demographic data driven surveillance activities
- Demonstrated experience serving as a technical resource and in supervisory roles
- Proven ability to effectively train and build capacity of local/country partners
- Requires frequent travel within Nigeria for TA and/or monitoring visits, along with 1-2 international trips per year with each trip lasting approximately five (5) to ten (10) days.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed CV to: ICAP-Jobs@cumc.columbia.edu with the Job Title “Technical Director– Nigeria” in the subject line.