Latest Jobs at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB), 21st October, 2019
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Culture and Employee Engagement Officer, CHHR3
Location: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Position N°: 50053854
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, information technology, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Human Resources Management department is to develop and execute a People Strategy, Policies, processes and practices which will enable the Bank to achieve its strategic Agenda. Core to the Human Resources Strategy will be the attraction, development, engagement, motivation and retention of a best-in-class workforce.
- In order to create a truly transformed human resources work-way, the Human Resources Management department is structured around a triangular Model: Business Partnerships for strategy, client contracting and human resources delivery; Centers of Expertise/Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for internal consulting, thought leadership, design, talent and staff development and training and best practice benchmarking; Human Resources Shared Services for transactional excellence and employees outreach. This new Human Resources Model will deliver a world-class employee life-cycle experience.
- The Staff Training and Development Division embeds a strategic approach to human resource development and management that results in more effective talent and performance management including strategic sourcing and career development and mobility, leadership development, compensation and reward, policy and compliance.
Reporting to the Policy and Compliance Officer and under the overall supervision of the Manager – Staff Training and Development, the Culture and Employee Engagement Officer will:
- Lead bank-wide initiatives to promote a value-driven, professional and ethical work environment and promote healthy working relationships between employees and their supervisors.
- Coordinate all activities relating to employee engagement, culture and leadership so that the Bank proactively promotes leadership and staff behaviors that support the vision of the Bank to be an employer of choice, able to attract, reward and retain top talent through both monetary and non-monetary mechanisms.
- Drive all initiatives to ensure the Bank’s values are lived at all levels especially in the management of people to create a workplace and culture that upholds the values of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Policy and Compliance Officer, the Culture and Employee Engagement Officer will undertake the following key responsibilities:
- Develop and execute proactive employee relations initiatives that set up, reinforce and maintain optimal relationships between staff and management in the Bank.
- Manage employee engagement surveys and facilitate development of Bank-wide initiatives in order to continuously enhance the people management skills and capabilities of the Bank. Accordingly, coordinate the Bank-wide action planning process to address employee engagement issues.
- Provide or coordinate staff counseling on culture and work relationships as may be required from time to time; or where additional support is needed beyond the HR Business Partner support.
- Provide expert support and guidance to all staff and HR Business Partners in the area of employee relations.
- In liaison with the Leadership and Employee Development Officer, contribute to the development and implementation of leadership training programs in view of culture and engagement needs of the Bank. Accordingly, develop and support the delivery of learning and talent development interventions (e.g. stress management, emotional intelligence, etc), working with and seeking input from other teams as required.
- Work with the Talent Management & Mobility Officer, coordinate women mentoring programs implementation Bank wide, and act as Gender focal point for the Department.
- Collaborate with units which provide support, advice and assistance in resolving conflicts, grievances and ethical issues including the Staff Council, Ombudsman, Ethics Office and Staff Appeals Committee
- In liaison with the Total Rewards Officer & Performance Management Officer, develop or provide input in the design and implementation of motivational and employee reward programs.
- Design long-term strategies, interventions and programs to develop the health and culture of the organisation to promote and achieve a culture of performance, service excellence and employee engagement.
- Develop and manage annual budgets and proposals, timelines and creative design to increase employee engagement and to sustain the employee culture.
- Oversee the overall production of internal communications, events and program materials for the purpose of communicating critical information to employees. Accordingly, coordinate the department’s communication activities, including the regular publication of the internal newsletter; ensuring all corporate communications reach multi-generations, diverse employees, and various categories of staff
- Develop employee recognition strategies to include reviewing, evaluating and making recommendations for departmental recognition programs; in liaison with the Total Rewards Officer and Performance Management Officer.
- Lead ongoing analysis of key data relating to employee retention and exit trends and prepare reports and recommendations to management based on this data. Accordingly, analyze facts in support of early detection of problems and advise management on remedial and preventive actions.
- Collect timely data to support business initiatives through focus groups, staff surveys, town halls, one-on-one interviews, and other methodology; and evaluate and apply the data to support decisions.
- Strategically collaborate with and build relationships across business functions and liaison with the HR Business Partners to ensure standardization and corporate compliance of Bank-wide initiatives
- Research, evaluate and select best practices that can be implemented to promote a value-driven culture of high performance among staff.
- Measure, assess, and report on the effectiveness of engagement programs to ensure they are delivering results aligned with defined success criteria. Refine strategies and develop new solutions to improve the employee experience.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Law, Social Science or in a relevant discipline related to the responsibilities described above.
- Additional qualifications in organizational change/ development, culture or coaching will be an added advantage.
- Have at least five (5) years of relevant and practical experience in Human Resources Management, staff and/or legal counselling, with at least 3 years of experience in handling training and capacity building activities
- Practical experience in staff coaching and counselling
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Communication and ability to interact effectively with staff members at all levels (being able to handle staff personal and confidential issues directly during one-on-one interviews)
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment as a team player with excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to be discrete and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Effective advisory skills with analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions for reporting purposes
- Ability to facilitate training sessions.
- Client Orientation
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Deadline: 8th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Consultant African Leaders for Nutrition (ALN) Coordinator
Location: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Department: Agriculture and Agro-Industry (AHAI)
Duration of the Assignment: 1 year
Tentative Date of commencement: 15th November, 2019
Brief Description of the Assignment
- Provide senior technical leadership and strategic direction to the African Leaders for Nutrition (ALN) initiative with a view of enhancing the visibility of nutrition issues on the continent, and strengthening the political will and commitment to increase national-level investments in nutrition interventions.
- Department issuing the request: Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department (AHAI)
- Place of assignment: The consultant will be based at the Bank Headquarters in Abidjan
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ (AHVP) is a Sector Complex charged with the implementation of two of the Bank’s High 5 priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”
- The complex objectives are fourfold: to develop, policy and strategy; to provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions and to develop new financing instruments
- The Vice President acts as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex has departments which implement its operational and strategic programs. They include Agriculture and Agro-Industry; Agricultural Finance and Rural Development; Gender, Women and Civil Society; Water Development and Sanitation; and Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development. Each department is led by a Director who supervises several Division Managers and Program Coordinators. The Complex will drive the Bank’s bold vision and focus on “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life in Africa”.
Approach to Program Implementation:
- The African Leaders for Nutrition (ALN) secretariat is hosted by the African Development Bank at the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department (AHAI) in the Agriculture Research, Production and Sustainability division (AHAI2)
- The ALN was established in recognition of the far-reaching and long-term effects of malnutrition on the continent’s human capital potential
- ALN aims to build and sustain high-level political leadership, commitment and accountability on the part of African Heads of States to invest resources in the fight against malnutrition.
- The ALN is a high-level platform for political engagement. The platform works to mobilize Nutrition Champions from amongst African Heads of States and Eminent Personalities and forge strong partnerships with other stakeholders working on the nutrition agenda at continental and global levels
- By working with these champions, the ALN is committed to increase the visibility and strengthen political will to address complex underlying problems confronting nutrition and encourage specific policy and financial commitments to ensure improved nutrition outcomes across Africa
- The political dialogue with Heads of States and Ministers of Finance is expected to accelerate progress toward the achievement of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP)/Malabo targets, the six World Health Assembly (WHA) nutrition targets, and the second Sustainable Development Goal (SDG2), through sustained and increased investment for nutrition.
Scope of Work:
- AHAI department is seeking the services of an experienced consultant to coordinate the ALN Secretariat.
- The specific responsibilities of the consultant will be as follows:
- Be the face of ALN Secretariat, by providing senior technical leadership and strategic direction to the ALN initiative with a view of enhancing the visibility of nutrition issues on the continent, and strengthening the political and commitment to increase national-level investments in nutrition programmes and activities;
- Provide leadership on high-level advocacy activities in support of the ALN champions, and cultivate other African Leaders and Eminent Personalities who could be potential nutrition champions, as well as strategic stakeholder organizations and institutions;
- Establish and nurture partnerships at the regional and global level, to spearhead the work of the ALN;
- Ensure the day-to-day management and coordination of the work and staff of the ALN Secretariat, including contributing to the promotion of the multi-sectoral approach to the nutrition agenda within the Bank;
- Ensure the effective and timely management of the ALN work plan, including the proper follow- up of ALN activities, the implementation of guidance from the Steering Committee and other advisory bodies.
Reporting to the ALN Steering Committee (ALN/SC) and the Division Manager, Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department (AHAI2) and working closely with internal and external stakeholders, the incumbent’s role includes but not limited to:
- Support the ALN Secretariat through strategic management and coordination of the ALN Initiative and Work Plan, as well as the planning, coordination and communication activities
- The responsibilities include actively participating in
- management meetings for institutional planning, policy and strategy development, and follow up on implementation of the Advisory group and the Steering Committee decisions in liaison with key partner institutions, internal and external stakeholders and the Bank Group;
- Provide leadership and overall guidance to the staff of the ALN Secretariat who are variously responsible for communications, partnerships, monitoring and evaluation, programmatic support, country relations and finance and administration;
- Set overall strategy for the ALN, with guidance from the Division Manager AHAI2 and Senior Management of the Bank for strategic alignment with continental goals, country-level outreach, external relations, awareness building, and accountability agendas;
- Ensure that the Bank’s management is regularly briefed on the progress of the ALN and facilitate all aspects of dialogue and collaboration between the Bank and ALN stakeholders;
- Deliver against the outcomes set out in the ALN grant, including the development of a continent-wide nutrition scorecard and reporting on the economic impacts of nutrition at regular intervals;
- Design and execute high-profile engagements on nutrition at global, continental and country levels, including influencing agendas that maximize the visibility and overall engagement of ALN;
- The Coordinator will fulfill any other responsibility linked to support leaders in a way that cultivates ALN champions, and leverages their influence through strategic engagements and highly visible advocacy and communication campaigns.
- The Consultant will be based in the in the Agriculture Research, Production and Sustainability division (AHAI2) under the supervision of the Manager
- She/He will work closely and directly with the division and where necessary will support project teams to improve the quality of operations and cross cutting initiatives
- She/He will coordinate the work of M&E Officer, the Communication and Partnership Officer in the ALN secretariat as well as other resources at her/his disposal.
The Bank is looking for an experienced consultant with the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Public Policy, International Development, Social Sciences, Nutrition or Public Health or any other relevant Degree.
- Not less than fifteen (15) years of relevant professional experience in international development;
- Demonstrated experience in in coordination, information sharing, programme management, developing and nurturing partnerships with relevant organizations such as UN Agencies, Private Sector, Governments’ Line Ministries, Research Organizations, Bilateral and Multilateral Agencies and Philanthropic Foundations;
- Familiarity with the multi-dimensional nature and effects of malnutrition and the importance of adopting a multi-sectoral and integrated development approach to nutrition interventions;
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing coalitions, in strategic planning with a variety of stakeholders, and respond quickly to a wide variety of strategic opportunities through careful prioritization;
- Experience in advocacy, communications, and shaping public debate on an issue through creative communications campaigns; convening coalitions for meaningful collective action and executing strategy in coordination with other groups;
- Proven experience in fund raising and resource mobilization
- Experience in using data for decision making through use of various tools (such as evidence-based reports, report cards, or trackers) for advocacy;
- Experience in managing teams and finances, including multiple subcontractors;
- Prior experience working directly with government representatives at multiple levels and with the advocacy community on nutrition or a related issue;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language; additional languages may also be valuable (Portuguese, Arabic);
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Time Schedule for Deliverables and Reporting Requirements
- The period for this assignment is 12 calendar months with key timelines as shown below. (The duration of this contract is renewable once up to 12 months.):
- Commencement of Assignment: 15th November, 2019
- The Consultant shall report to the Manager, AHAI2. Day-to-day management of the consultancy shall be assured by a person designated by the Manager.
Deadline: 31st October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Any questions and requests for clarifications may be sent to Fati Kondo using the mail above.