Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Deputy Manager
Location: Rann, Borno
- The Deputy Project manager is providing support for both hardware and softaware project components and ensure the project is implemented in line with the proposal and project plan.
- The deputy project manager guarantees and manages the daily decisions and actions to be taken within their intervention domain, in coordination with the sector coordinator or the delegation manager
- If required for the position, the Deputy Project Manager may also be required to function as an engineer, supervising the work of Tdh’s WASH construction team and/or third party contractors as well as other members of the WASH project team.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Lead and gather data during needs assessment, baseline studies, and periodic studies, and help feed back findings to stakeholders.
- Plan activities in coordination with field staff to reduce WASH-related risks.
- Collect data from field activities and prepare regular reports on global WASH activities
Programme planning and implementation:
- Lead and carry out assessment to identify context based appropriate WASH activities for the community people in consultation with relevant partners and authorities
- Manage the partners and contractors.
- Take account of gender, protection, the environment, and other important cross cutting concerns in programme design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, children, and people with disabilities.
- Be responsible for the implementation of the action plans and budget monitoring.
- Adapt the Tdh tools in WASH and capitalise on experiences by sharing the tools developed in the field with the line manager. (including BOQ and hygiene promotion validation)
- Train his/her team in the technical and methodological aspects.
- Lead on developing detailed activity planning and implementing the WASH activities both technical and Hygiene promotion.
- Assist on design to new project and proposal development
- Ensure that action is taken to mitigate priority WASH related risks.
- Supervise the teams member by assigning them activities according the priority and support them in order to reach to project objectives.
- Ensure the project is reaching the indicators
- Ensure implementation of the activities in line with relevant national/international standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Direct the implementation and observance of the terms of any financing agreement
- Compile all the essential technical documents for the projects on a digital medium to be shared with line manager.
- Use programme resources effectively and with care.
- Facilitate to mobilize local resources and do maximum use of them.
- Be responsible for his/her own continuing training to develop his/her skills
- Develop training on WASH technical and methodological aspects and implement them with the team
- Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities in consultation with the line manager.
- Monitor safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Monitor appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Collaborate in organising surveys with his/her supervisor and actively participate in conducting them, going through them and analysing them.
- Review of the budget with the line manager, in order to direct future spending or change of expenses forecasted.
- Participate at the project leader’s request in radio and TV broadcasts, documentary films and press articles.
- Ensure proper record keeping of all activities and prepare monthly/quarterly activity report in time.
- Write the SITREP
- Periodically collect data and regularly update individual monitoring files of the Programme’s beneficiaries.
- Identify any major discrepancy/ delay that may arise in project implementation and report immediately to line manager.
- Keep proper records of expenditures and report on these to the line manager.
Personal and Team management:
- Develop common priority actions leading to solutions to the identified problems.
- Identify the problems associated with the delivery of the programme and inform the HR, logistics, beneficiaries.
- Attend and take part in the meetings (including clusters) necessary for passing on information for the smooth running of activities.
- Help his/her line manager in setting up the activities schedule every week.
- Provide professional guidance for team members
Networking / external coordination:
- Represent Tdh on local exercises in his/her geographic area of responsibility.
- Always keep in close contact with respective local government department to ensure their active participation for effective implementation of the programme activities as well as proper use of resources.
- Participate in identifying new partners for WASH activities.
- In general, make sure that a positive and professional image of Tdh is conveyed. In particular, ensure that Tdh’s mandate, thematic policies, ethics, values and views are followed in relation to third parties.
- Minimum of first Degree in a discipline related to WASH, Civil Engineering , Health Education or any other related field
- Three year of experience in WASH projects, and humanitarian reponses
- Good capacity in communication mobilization and knowledge of participatory approaches
- Proven success in implementing Behaviour Change activities
- A proven record of effective project and people management.
Knowledge & skills:
- Knowledge of Education in Emergencies programming. Knowledge on the North East Nigerian humanitarian situation, needs and its revancy to the Education Programming. INEE standards, Child Protecion Standards. Project Management Skills. Ability to make linkages with the Governement to strengthen the Education System.
- Computer skills: Good skills in MS Office applications. Ability to use data software and analysis is an advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Ensure to attach updated CV, Motivation Letter in a single file
- Due to the Emergency situation in the Northeast Nigeria, applications will be processed on a rolling basis and Position could be filled before the expiration of advert.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
- This position is open to Nigerian national only.