African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Capacity Development Officer, ECAD0
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50053025
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’. The Complex is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasizing the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
The Hiring Department
- The African Development Institute coordinates and oversees Capacity Development mainstreaming in Bank operations for enhanced development effectiveness in the regional member countries, through: (i) providing advisory services including guidance tools to support effective design and delivery of Capacity Development goals in Bank operations; (ii) identifying and designing tailored Capacity Development programmes and carrying out related activities to sustain development results in the regional members countries; (iii) leveraging partnerships and coordinating knowledge dissemination and outreach, conversion and transfer, with the view to contribute to improved policy-making and economic governance for sustainable development in the regional members countries.
- The Principal Capacity Development Officer ECAD0, will play an active role in the day-to-day delivery of the Department’s mandate, ensure high quality standards are observed, and collaborate with the Bank operations to further capacity development mainstreaming within the Bank.
Specifically the Principal Capacity Development Officer ECAD0 has the following responsibilities:
- Support the capacity development of the Banks RMCs to effectively design and implement their own macroeconomic tools to improve policy-making processes and outcomes.
- Provide Management and by extension, the ECVP complex and other Bank departments with expert technical advice on addressing RMCs’ capacity building issues and improve dialogue with development partners.
- Contribute to resource mobilization efforts and implementation of Trust Funds to address emerging capacity development needs in the RMCs.
- Support the ECAD Senior Director in providing quality assurance and coordination of work program deliverables of the Institute.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Senior Director of the African Development Institute, the Principal Capacity Development Officer will:
- Participate in the design and delivery of macro-economic management tools and trainings in the RMCs, in collaboration with other relevant staff members across the Bank.
- Participate in the identification and assessment of capacity needs and demand in the RMCs.
- Task Manage capacity development activities in collaboration with country investment teams, to contribute to improve macroeconomic capacity in the RMCs.
- Enhance partnerships with international, regional and national training institutions to deepen and expand the scope of capacity development activities in the RMCs.
- Mobilize resources from the Bank’s Trust Funds and other partners to deliver successful capacity development initiatives in the Bank’s RMCs.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Annual/Mid-year review of capacity development activities and duly prepare reports and presentations as may be required by Management.
- In collaboration with ECVP and other Bank departments, design and deliver capacity development programmes in macroeconomic modelling, forecasting and analysis.
- Task manage ongoing institutional support grants to regional economic capacity development institutions in Africa.
- Task manage ongoing projects financed by the Bank’s Trust Funds.
- Contribute to the review of Bank’s core policy, strategy and operational documents.
- Prepare input to the AfDB Annual Report and articles on capacity development.
- Participate in peer review meetings in the annual preparation of the African Economic Outlook.
- Represent the Senior Director in meetings upon request.
- Undertake any other duties as may be requested by the Senior Director.
- Hold at minimum a Master’s in Economics, Finance, Social Sciences, or related fields.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant and progressive professional experience in economic development, public policy analyses, and/or capacity development in international development settings and in Africa.
- Have excellent knowledge of economic development models and a strong ability to interpret the results of research to facilitate policy dialogue.
- Have proven ability to think strategically and to design long-term plans and programs in line with the Bank’s strategic priorities.
- Demonstrate ability to build and manage strategic institutional partnerships for streamlined and increased support to capacity development in the RMCs.
- Be results-oriented, concise planning to achieve anticipated outcomes.
- Demonstrated team player with strong interpersonal and communication, problem solving, self-organization and time management skills. A client and results oriented individual with a proactive attitude.
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Bank software namely MS Office applications and SAP will be an advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Senior Social Safeguards Officer, RDNG
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Position N°: 50093568
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SNVP provides effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
The Hiring Department
- Located within the SNVP Complex, the Environmental and Social Safeguards and Compliance Department (SNSC) is responsible for mainstreaming environmental and social development considerations into Bank financed operations in the public and private sectors through the implementation of the Integrated Safeguard System (ISS). The Department will provide cross-sector E&S operational support to all operations in the regions in conducting the necessary E&S due diligence and implementation support across all stages of the project development cycle. The Department will also design and/or provide capacity-building support to ensure that not all the Bank’s projects and programs are only compliant with the ISS but also enhance opportunities for the sustainability of Environment and Social development outcomes.
- The Senior Social Safeguards Officer will work under the general supervision and guidance of the Safeguards and Compliance Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
Mainstreaming of social aspects in operations, including safeguards, gender and social inclusion. As task team member, he/she will provide support to Task Managers and Borrowers/Clients in identifying, mainstreaming and monitoring social development and safeguard aspects/concerns in Bank operations during the identification, preparation, appraisal, implementation, and completion stages (throughout project lifecycle) through the following:
- Assess the social risk associated to Bank-funded operations and prepare/contribute to the categorization memorandum;
- Assess and/or ameliorate the nature of the social analyses and socio-economic studies, prepared by Borrowers/Clients, to capture all relevant social development and safeguards concerns;
- Analyse and mainstream relevant and cross-cutting social issues into Bank-funded operations, particularly issues related to gender, social vulnerability, stakeholder engagement and the social implications of climate change;
- Document and recommend lessons learnt on social sustainability to integrate in the design and implementation modalities of new operations to enhance social benefits;
- Assist Borrowers/Clients for the finalization of the Terms of Reference (ToRs) for the preparation of Environmental and Social Assessment (ESA) documentation (SESA, ESIA, ESMF, ESMS, RAP, ES Audit, Hazard and Risk Assessment, etc.) to ensure compliance with the ISS.
- Review the ESA documentation submitted by the Borrowers/Clients as of the ISS and other Bank policies’ requirements;
- Draft the inputs for the technical sections on social impacts in Project Concept Notes (PCNs), Project Appraisal Reports (PARs), Project Completion Reports (PCRs) and any other project related report as required.
- Draft and/or ameliorate reporting templates for use in implementing and monitoring social aspects and components of projects and programs and prepare, where applicable, action plans to bring projects and programs in compliance with Bank’s environmental and social requirements.
- Liaise with co-financiers to ensure consistency in the mainstreaming of social safeguard concerns.
Policy and Compliance with Social Requirements:
- Participate in the formulation, review and/or revision of the Bank environmental and social safeguard policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Provide policy guidance to Bank teams on social safeguard issues to enhance their awareness and the capacity of the projects and programmes to comply with the ISS.
Capacity Building and Knowledge Management:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of capacity building and training programs for staff within the Bank and in RMCs.
- Participate in, contribute and represent the Bank in internal and external trainings and conferences on social safeguards and social development issues as well as other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of innovative knowledge products on social sustainability, social safeguards and/or the E&S performance of Bank financed projects and programmes.
- Undertake any other task as the Director of the Environment and Social Safeguards Department and/or the Regional Director General.
- Hold at least Master’s degree in Social Sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Geography, Law, Economy) or related discipline.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in social development and safeguards, including the preparation and implementation of social safeguards risk management instruments (social assessment, resettlement policy framework, resettlement action plan, stakeholders’ engagement plan, vulnerable group engagement plan, indigenous people plan, gender-based violence management, etc.), community-driven operations, land management, etc.
- Demonstrable knowledge and practice of the environmental and social safeguards policies/standards, procedures and practices of comparator Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) supporting the Regional Member Countries.
- Experience with international organizations or Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) in Africa is an advantage.
- Achieving results and problem solving – (e.g. consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes, proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services).
- Strong inter-personal skill and ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues
- Communicate and write effectively in English and/or French.
- It would be desirable to have a working knowledge of the other language, or even communicate and write effectively both in French and English.
- Competence in the use of standard software applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.)
Deadline: 9th December, 2019
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.