Cedarcrest Hospitals was founded in Abuja in January 2008 and was formerly known as Cedarcrest Orthopaedic Clinics. Within a few years, the hospital expanded its scope of practice into a full-fledged private multispecialty hospital. The core vision of the organisation is to provide world-class healthcare services to patients in Nigeria, West Africa, and globally.
With hospitals located in both Abuja and Lagos, our services accommodate over one hundred (100) beds and provide services and facilities such as emergency / trauma center, a helipad, major radiology diagnostic center, a prosthetic manufacturing plant, an oxygen manufacturing plant, modular surgical operating theatres, cardiac catheterization unit and several other facilities that make for a modern multispecialty hospital.
Job Title: Consultant Anaesthetist
- The Consultant Anaesthetist reporting to the Head of Unit will be are responsible for handling surgical patients and their pain relief during procedures. During surgery, anesthetist administer anesthetics (drugs) and adjust them as needed, and they also monitor patients’ vital signs. In addition, the incumbent will provide leadership for Anaesthesia Technician staff.
- The incumbent will be responsible for placement of regional anesthetics and invasive monitoring devices.
- The Anaesthetist will provide directives and special protocols for the anaesthetic technicians for specific surgeries, i.e. Cardiac, Liver Transplants, Neuro, Vascular, etc. Communicates and actively participates with circulating nurses for plans concerning each case.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MBBS Degree with either FMCA or FWACS
- MDCN License
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption Letter
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Highly motivated team player willing to go the extra mile.
- Conducting Anaesthesia Clinic.
- Providing coverage for ICU / HDU / Recovery room.
- Transfer of critically ill patients.
- The incumbent will also be responsible for teaching and training of senior registrars, technicians, medical officers, interns, etc.
- Establishes and coordinates all off site anaesthesia specifically MM, CT, Neuro X Ray, photon & Gamma Knife Procedures. Proficient with ABG and ACT units.
- Able to calibrate and run QC/QA analysis on associated systems.
- Demonstrates knowledge of pain management procedures including specific blocks, epidurals, spinals and patient positioning.
- Demonstrates knowledge of airway management protocols
- Assists during difficult intubations. Demonstrates knowledge of chest cases and tube placement, including double lumen tubes, ARNDT blockers and uninvent tubes.
- To document billing of anaesthetic agents and consumables used
- To select and prepare medical supplies required for the anaesthetic list according to specialty
- To ensure patient emergence from anaesthesia
- Maintain established departmental policies, procedures, quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- To ensure that Documents are maintained as well as preventative maintenance and quality records.
- Ensures workroom areas are clean and orderly before, during and after each shift. Performs all other related anaesthesia departmental duties as required.
- Prepares critically ill patients for line placement. Demonstrates knowledge of all components of percutaneous introducer kits, double lumen kits, triple lumen kit, long arm CVP kits, and any invasive volume procedure.
- Demonstrates knowledge and set up of the following machines: Level I RIS, syringe pumps, capnographs, TEG and TEEs.
- Setting up of special equipment’s.
- To make sure that the anaesthetic technicians carry out patient safety checks and handover relevant information to the theatre team
- Maintains on a daily and case to case basis, the equipment and supplies necessary to provide quality and cost effective anaesthesia care to all patients
- Applies principles of infection control and safety, including proper handling, cleaning, sterilizing and/or disposal of equipment or supplies used in regular and contaminated cases. Sets up sterile equipment, such as intravenous, central venous, arterial and pulmonary artery catheters using sterile techniques.
- Performs all standard procedural checks on equipment; reports any malfunctioning equipment to supervisor.
- Supervising anesthesia assistants and certified registered nurse anesthetists.
- Approving general, sedative, regional, or local anesthetics.
- Informing patients of risks associated with anesthesia.
- Complying with medical and hospital procedure policy.
- Use intravenous, local, caudal or spinal methods to administer sedation or pain medications during surgical and other medical procedures.
- Supervise patients and monitor their pain medications before, during and after surgery; offset adverse complications or reactions; record amount and type of anesthesia as well as the patients’ conditions throughout procedures.
- Determine risk during medical procedures by taking medical histories, examining patients and ordering diagnostic procedures like x-rays and laboratory tests; discuss with other healthcare professionals about the method and type of anesthetic to make patients numb to pain.
- Monitor patients post-surgery and determine when they are stabilized enough to move to another room or go home
- Manage anesthesiological services and coordinate with other professionals to formulate procedures and plans; direct the duties of medical technicians, nurses and other healthcare support staff
- Educate patients and families on post-procedure care and possible complications; instruct on different ways to prevent disease and improve health
- Compiling daily, weekly, monthly reports.
- Any other duty assigned by management.
Deadline: 7th February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: email@example.com in the subject line please include your name, title of position, and reference number; i.e. Consultant Anaesthetist #CA00001 – Applicant Name.