FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief of Party
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time
- The objective of the SCALE Activity is to support civil society organizations (CSO) and business management organizations (BMO) across all of USAID/Nigeria’s programmatic sectors with a basket of managerial, business strengthening, and advocacy capacity-building interventions aimed at advancing Nigerian CSO sustainability combined with targeted grants to advance mutually agreed upon priorities
- The activity is designed to enhance local civil society organizations’ ability to be positive and responsible change agents in Nigeria
- The Chief of Party’s (COP) primary responsibilities are to provide overall leadership, management and general technical direction of the entire activity, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the award.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
The COP shall:
- Be the principal point of contact in Nigeria for procedural and substantive matters, including technical matters.
- Coordinate and ultimately be responsible for all Agreement management and implementation.
- Provide guidance and monitoring for project staff, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective teamwork.
- Develops best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Defines project scope, goals, and deliverables that support business goals and strategic vision of management.
- Develops and delivers project plans, documentation, training, presentations and budget proposals to management and staff.
- Identifies and resolves project issues and implements improvement plans to ensure project stays on schedule and within budget.
- Builds, develops, and grows partnerships vital to the success of the project.
- Be responsible for responding to the designated AOR and Agreement Officer
- Be responsible for ensuring quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the award.
- Be expected to identify issues and risks related to activity implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments.
- Manages and oversees the development of projects from initiation to completion.
- Manages capacity building project staff in coordinating and managing the implementation of project activities, delivering quality and accountability.
Required Experience / Skills:
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field such as Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, etc.
- At least ten (10) years of progressive relevant international development programming experience – at least five (5) years of which must be in senior program management, experience in managing and leading civil society or similar donor programs in developing countries, preferably in Africa;
- Demonstrated capability to lead/supervise a diverse team with different development partners, donors, CSOs and host country government counterparts.
- Strong technical expertise in advocacy/accountability/research/media campaigns and program development.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties
- This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.