The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Humanitarian Affairs Officer – Partnership
Job ID: 30280
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – PARTNERSHIP
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
- In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation’s response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field.
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Unit, Localization and Government Engagement. the NHAO will ensure effective and efficient support on all activities related to Inter agency technical coordination and programmes while maintaining full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of procedures, management of information flow and follow up on deadlines and commitments.
- The NHAO will work in close collaboration with the other units in OCHA Nigeria and support coordination with the humanitarian community (UN Agencies, government and partners) to ensure efficient flow of information, effective coordination, advocacy and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head of Unit, Localization and Government Engagement and overall guidance of the OCHA Deputy Head of Office in Nigeria, perform day-to-day liaison functions with government line Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDA’s), Civil Society Organizations (CSO’s) and Nigerian National Non-Governmental organizations (NNGO’s) and follow up on OCHA’s partnership engagement with each relevant institution along strategic priorities set at the national level;
- Supports OCHA’s liaison with government line ministries and agencies (Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development; Ministry of Budget and National Planning; National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA); North-East Development Commission and any other relevant ministry) to coordinate humanitarian assistance by identifying and setting up appropriate structures and organizing relevant inter-agency coordination meetings at federal and local government level when required;
- Promote and instigate new types of partnerships with MDA’s, CSO’s and NNGO’s and leverage them Strategically to promote the mandate of OCHA in Nigeria.
- Provide inputs for key documents and reports on OCHA’s partnership with MDA’s, CSO’s and NNGO’s, including advocacy material on OCHA’s activities in Nigeria.
- Ensures effective and efficient program support for inter-agency technical coordination.
- Supports consolidation of inputs for key OCHA products and reports.
- Participates in mission planning and execution.
- Ensures close consultation and coordination with state and national authorities/partner.
- Supports the coordination of inter-agency needs assessments and contingency planning as required.
- Organizes and participates in work groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Build and maintain relationships with UN agencies, NGOs and governmental officials to ensure effective exchange and dissemination of information.
- Identifies contacts in the government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society and other stakeholders in support of OCHA’s advocacy efforts.
- Identifies new contacts in government, civil society organizations and local NGO’s and ensure government matrix is duly updated.
- Any other assignments at the request of the Unit Head and/or colleagues;
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Identifies and supports preparation of relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Identifies contacts in the government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for OCHA’s advocacy efforts.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Contributes to collective results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Proven ability in capacity building of institutions and development of counterparts.
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions
- Responds positively to new approaches
Basic Research and Analysis:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources
Required Skills and Experience
- Advance University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent degree) in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences, Law or related field is required.
- A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in privates sector experience, with a specific focus on engagements with government partners and donors or other related area is required.
- Must be conversant with UN operational system.
- Excellent Report Writing skills.
- Knowledge of Information Management (IM)
- Ability to build networks and partnerships and capacity to work in a team.
- Demonstrates critical ability and sound judgment in the pursuit of requests to full completion.
- Balances meeting deadlines, while maintaining high professional standards and accuracy.
- Demonstrates the highest level of discretion in a manner that promotes a positive working environment.
- Demonstrates understanding of the UN organizational structure and external partners for purposes of efficiently handling incoming queries and requests, and for collecting information and performing liaison functions.
- High fluency in English (both verbal and written) is required; working knowledge of at least one local language in OCHA’s operational areas, in the North East, is an asset.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of Information Communication Technology (ICT) and good writing / reporting skills and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing are the responsibility of each staff member:
- Professionalism: Knowledge of a range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and related human rights issues, including approaches and techniques to address difficult problems. Capacity to analyze and articulate the humanitarian dimension of issues which require a coordinated UN response. Ability to identify issues and judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems.
- Ability to conduct research, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the humanitarian rights situation in assigned area.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment; ability to provide guidance to new/junior staff; ability to provide advice to senior level officials.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor’s language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork.
- Creating synergies through self-control, sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
Deadline: 11th May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online