Abt Associates is an engine for social impact, fueled by caring, curiosity and cutting-edge research that moves people from vulnerability to security. Whether it’s welfare or weather disasters, the environment or economics, agriculture or HIV and AIDS, we address the world’s most pressing issues. Our work is diverse and so is our bold workforce. We never fail to ask “What if?” We identify patterns, we search for the best way.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant / Capacity Building Officer – SHOPS Plus Nigeria
Req Id: 65643
Location: Akwa Ibom
- The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance – as well as in international evaluation.
- Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
- Abt Associates seeks a Capacity Building Officer to support a family planning project under SHOPS Plus. SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health.
- The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in TB, family planning, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, and other health areas. In Nigeria, SHOPS Plus is building the capacity of public and private providers to scale up family planning, including Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARCs) in Akwa Ibom.
- The Capacity Building Officer will ensure effective coordination of competency-based Family Planning (FP), including LARC trainings at state level.
- This position reports directly to the Akwa Ibom State coordinator with a dotted line to the Capacity Building Specialist (CBS).
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the RH/FP Capacity Building Specialist (CBS) and other State Team members to manage training and other requirements in line with project objectives within the state.
- Work closely with the Capacity Building Specialist to identify training needs/ requirements for the state.
- Support and work with appropriate state officials to implement competency-based training programs to meet the identified needs, utilizing existing training modules as available.
- Ensure effective and efficient operations through providing necessary capacity enhancement and institutional support for operations
- Lead the mapping and selection of health providers that will participate in trainings
- Collaborate with state FP coordinators to organize training courses and workshops and lead in operationalization of these trainings.
- With support of the State Coordinator and under the guidance of the CBS identify, contract, and manage trainers to implement project training courses in the state
- Ensure FP trainings in the state meet quality standards
- Maintain records of training attendance.
- Monitor the effects of trainings through analyzing pre- and post-test results, course evaluation forms, and other analytic measurements and generate and submit appropriate reports promptly.
- Work collaboratively with other technical staff and implementing partners at the state to ensure effective and timely program implementation
- Participate in the development of strategy documents, work plans and reports.
- Work with team members to implement systems for measuring, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of capacity building approaches.
- Contribute to the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system (especially in relation to health worker trainings).
- Attend relevant meetings at state level and ensure effective linking, learning and sharing.
- Attend to other duties as may be identified or assigned.
- RN/RM, degree in clinical nursing/midwifery, relevant paramedical degree or M.B.B.S degree.
- 3-5 years demonstrated knowledge and experience in designing and managing clinical trainings and workshops (specific experience with FP/LARC training is desirable).
- Extensive knowledge of the Nigerian public and private health sectors.
- Familiarity with different sociocultural and developmental issues related to RH/FP in Nigeria and the international community.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, organizing and delivering training and capacity building activities.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to run basic statistical analysis and generate good report is needed.
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy.
- Ability to travel within the state approximately 50% of the time.
- ( 2+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
- Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.