ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer-term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. We are therefore looking for candidates to support our mission in Monguno within the capacity below:
Job Title: Security and Liaison Officer
Location: Monguno, Borno
About the Job
- Under the authority and leadership of the Country Director, the direct management and supervision of the Country Security Manager (CSM), and under the general supervision of the Senior Security and Liaison Officer (SSLO); Security and Liaison Officer (SLO) responsibilities are, but not limited to the following:
Staff/Program and Premises Safety/Security:
- Provides general supervision to the guard force in the assigned area(s).
- Conduct regular reviews of ACTED facility physical security measures and produce/update compound security profile and security assessment reports.
- Assist the SSLO with managing the guard force shift pattern and leave rotation.
- Assist the SSLO with providing weekly department briefings to the guard force. Deliver monthly SOP training to the guard force.
- Assist the CSM with planning and conducting emergency response drills.
- Conduct morning and afternoon atmospheric assessments when in field locations. Report concerns to the CSM immediately.
- Be present during planning, set up and ongoing distributions. Ensure field teams receive a pre-deployment brief before deploying to distribution sites and all staff understand their communication plan, emergency response and site evacuation plan.
- Review and update area security risk assessments every six months, for areas assigned by the CSM.
- Deploy to potential new areas of intervention to conduct security risk assessments when required.
- Receive and review SCR’s from ACTED staff and process in a timely manner. Submit SCR’s to the CSM by the agreed timelines.
- Conduct regular reviews of ACTED facility physical security measures and produce/update compound security profile and security assessment reports
- Conduct inspections of the fire safety equipment every quarter and report findings to the CSM.
- Conduct spot checks of the guard force to ensure they are working in accordance with SOP’s. Inspect guard force equipment each week and report any damages or losses to the CSM.
- Conduct monthly inspections of ACTED saferooms and hibernation kits. Identify food items soon to expire and report findings to the CSM, to enable hibernation kit re-supply.
Transport/movement Safety and Security:
- Inspect vehicles pre-deployment, ensuring they are fully equipped with breakdown kit, fire extinguishers, medical kits, serviceable seatbelts, and a functional locking system. Report any faults to the CSM.
- Deliver pre-deployment briefings to field teams.
- Liaise with external security sources before and during staff movement, to ensure security information is up to date.
- Deploy with field teams to review staff field conduct in accordance with security SOP’s, update actor mapping, and assess atmospherics, when instructed to do so by the CSM.
- Be the security focal point for teams deploying in your assigned area.
- Monitor security information and security alerts and notify field teams immediately. Inform the CSM of any ongoing incidents and respond as instructed.
- Share security information with the Senior Department IM Group, for filtering and verification.
- Always be reachable by either mobile phone, email, or satellite phone.
- Attend INSO roundtable meetings in place of the CSM when needed and provide a summary to the CSM post-meeting.
- Submit a weekly security summary specific to your assigned area to the head of department, outlining security incidents, no go areas, route security updates and significant operations of armed state and non-state actors.
- Attend security department meetings and provide feedback for you assigned areas. Provide context or post-incident analysis during department meetings when required.
- Assist the SSLO to maintain the guard force nominal role and shift pattern, submitting each week to the CSM for review.
- If changing over in a field location with the SSLO or SLO, provide handover notes, which are to be shared with the CSM.
- If the CSM requires an SIR to be written for an incident in an ACTED area, be prepared to collect the relevant information and provide a draft SIR, for the CSM to review and update.
- Update the TITANIC Risk Analysis weekly, with the INSO weekly incident list, when based in Maiduguri.
- Attend INSO training courses in accordance with the CSM’s capacity building plan. Provide feedback to the CSM after course completion.
- Attend training and mentoring sessions led by the CSM or SSLO.
- Assist the CSM with delivering the mission annual security training plan in Maiduguri and designated field locations.
- Comply with ACTED’s Code of Conduct, and additional instructions, directives, and policies received during the hiring process, training or from the CSM and SSLO.
- Representing ACTED in local community forums when required and ensuring all groups of the community are engaged in an open, positive, and non-discriminatory way.
- Proactively ensuring that the reputation of ACTED and partners is promoted in the region and addressing any potential reputation challenges.
- Building positive collaborative relationships with staff from project partner organizations.
- Be prepared to provide leave relief for the SSLO or another SLO, in accordance with department leave scheduled.
- Stakeholder Management and Liaison:
- Supporting the CSM and other Senior Management in establishing and maintaining positive relations with local authorities including local government, police, and community groups.
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 5 years’ experience in a security officer role or above.
- Extensive experience and ability in operating Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work to a high standard in unstable and frequently changing security environments.
- An established network of security contacts in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states
- Experience working with local authorities and representatives of the different local communities in the region
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and can deliver results with minimal supervision.
- Exemplary communication and organization skills.
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written English and Hausa.
- Fluent in spoken Kanuri. Candidates will undergo a language assessment to ensure they can speak fluent Kanuri.
- Willingness to work in remote areas under basic living conditions.
- Previous experience delivering security training’s.
- Demonstrable analytical ability and strong report writing skills (in English)
- A detailed understanding of the history and security context of Nigeria’s northeast region
- Must be adaptable and can work well in high pressure situations.
- Previous experience in the humanitarian field
- Previous experience in the security forces
- Contract length: 6 months with possibility of extension
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer and the other the HR Rep of your latest Organisation. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org
Deadline 17th July, 2020.