The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Associate
Requisition #: 124010
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: SSA 6
Unit/Division: Supply Chain
Duration: 11 months
Background and Purpose of the Assignment
- To provide coordination, administrative services and research to support the efficient and effective procurement services.
- Job holders supervise, provide technical advice, coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
- Job holders at this level demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries and problems with only general guidance.
- There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
- Job holders have a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided.
- Provide operational coordination and administrative services, to support procurement projects and activities, following standard processes and contributing to the effective procurement of goods and services.
- Identify and recommend potential suppliers, and compile data/documents to support the selection of suppliers, ensuring standard processes are followed.
- Review, record and prioritise purchasing requests, and provide support to requisitioners, in order to support the procurement of appropriate goods and services, at lowest cost to WFP.
- Contribute to negotiations with new suppliers on terms and conditions of orders, alongside a senior officer, in order to obtain the best terms and lowest costs for WFP.
- Prepare Purchase Orders, contracts and any supporting documentation for approval by the appropriate stakeholder, and approve purchases within delegated authority, to enable the swift purchase of goods and services.
- Maintain relationships with internal counterparts, to support the alignment of procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
- Supervise the work of support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Resolve issues related to delivered goods, using initiative, liaising with all parties and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of problems.
- Research, collect and analyse data in order to produce reports to enable informed decisionmaking by Procurement Officers, and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Manage updates and further develop databases and records, to ensure information is accurate, organised, and available for others to access, and supports reporting requirements.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced University Degree in Political Science, International Development, Development Economics, International Relations, Law, Marketing, Communications or other relevant fields, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Demonstrated familiarity with locally purchased commodities/goods/services (e.g., cash-based, in-kind donations).
- Experience conducting supplier research and coordinating with retailers, wholesalers and traders.
- Demonstrated knowledge of procurement processes and linkages with other operations (e.g., logistics).
Knowledge & Skills:
- Effective writing, presentation and communications skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
Deadline: 10th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online