The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Driver – G3
Requisition No.: 125692
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- These jobs are found in Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) and Field Offices (FOs). Job holders report to the Administration Officer or the designate.
- Job holders are either assigned to provide transport services to senior WFP staff (i.e. Regional or Country Directors), high ranking officials and visitors; and / or support coordination of transport-related services by planning and assigning the routes and schedules for other drivers, and planning the overall vehicle maintenance.
- The latter usually occurs in offices with a large pool of drivers and very busy transport services where a Dispatcher role is required.
- To provide efficient and safe transportation to senior WFP staff, high ranking UN officials or visitors, and / or provide support in coordinating transport-related services.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive):
- Under the direct supervision of the Fleet Manager of WFP Maiduguri Area Office and the global supervision of the Head of Administration Unit in Maiduguri, the Senior Driver will:
- Provide transportation to senior WFP staff, high ranking UN officials and visitors including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and the delivery and collection of various items following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Plan and assign the routes and schedules for other Drivers, to support efficient transport-related services for clients.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
- Efficiently plan and coordinate WFP vehicle maintenance to ensure vehicles are fully equipped with required travel authorisations and supplies, assigned equipment on board is in a good condition to support safe and efficient services.
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and / or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required including mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills, to ensure administrative support to clients.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities, to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorised destinations.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license / certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
- Experience: Three or more years of work experience as a Driver preferably in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorized vehicles. Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads / waterways and conditions, and security issues.
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
- Good understanding of transport services and ability to coordinate routes and schedules for other Drivers.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
- Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
- Knowledge of driving / boat operating rules and regulations whichever applicable.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Fluency (level C) in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different. Fluency (level C) in English language is mandatory for Drivers at HQ.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Maintain oversight and control of vehicle keys including spare keys.
- Submit the vehicle movement report on weekly basses.
- Ensure vehicles are always filled up with the correct quantity determined using the fuel consumption analysis from FMS.
- Coordinate all rented vehicles and keep track of daily vehicle request and usage.
- Overall management of drivers which include performance management, driver’s roster, leave plan and overtime.
- Use Vehicle Tracking System to monitor and control over speeding, driver’s behaviour, and ascertain Realtime location of all WFP vehicles.
- Ensure that drivers dress code is maintained.
- Recording keeping of Borno State WFP vehicles Fuelling, Maintenance and Insurance.
- Maintain file for each vehicle in the Area Office.
- Ensure vehicle parts and fuelling of all vehicles of the Area Office and hubs are properly recorded in WFP dedicated system.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will” / ”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- N / A
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Notice and Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and recieved online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Application Deadline 2nd October, 2020.