The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Visual & User Interface Designer
Ref Id: req10484
Locations: Nigeria, Liberia, Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Sierra Leone
Sector: Research & Development
Employment Category: Consultant
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Not Applicable
- The IRC has conducted a design sprint with colleagues in Liberia to address the need for better supervision of community health workers’ (CHW) quality of care to clients. Currently, community health work supervisors are not often able to observe CHWs treating clients and in many cases, the quality of their feedback to CHW is not useful.
- A previous design sprint has generated a concept for a digital tool (Dela) to:
- Capture video of CHWs treating clients
- Provide video playback tools to help supervisors assess the quality of care provided in the video
- Prompt templates for supervisors to provide feedback
- Track performance of CHWs on a dashboard
- Dela is intended for use by CHWs with low digital literacy and in locations with limited data networks. We envision a Bluetooth-enabled system of data transfer, but like the core pieces of the concept, that has yet to be developed.
In the next phase of work, the IRC wants to validate the current concept by combining existing applications to test the minimum viable product (MVP) and test in other environments (low to high connectivity) outside of Liberia. The elements of most interest are:
- Clinical capture of CHW and patient interaction
- Submission of the clinical capture to supervisors
- Supervisor feedback
- Build MVP
- Conduct customer concept and usability testing
- Develop testing plan with country offices
- Create prioritized use cases for product development
- Create customer validation activities and concept and usability testing
- Input to service blueprints that connect online and offline experiences
- Create design principles for product development
- Design visual and verbal identity (singular or per country)
- Develop low and high fidelity product prototypes
- Develop IA, user flows, wireframes, and final UI design
- Synthesize user research based on raw findings
- Identify user needs
- Oversee CHW recruiting for prototyping, piloting, and implementation with Field Research Coordinator
- Input to all training materials to on-board CHWs
- Design research experience of 5+ years
- UI experience of 5+ years
- Experience working with vulnerable populations strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Design Research
- Digital Prototyping.
- French prefered.
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills as well as, an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
- Highly proficient in Adobe Suite
- Highly proficient in Google Suite.
- Full time work – Applicants must have a home or alternate workspace they can effectively complete their work from during regularly scheduled work hours and willingness to travel for research.
- October 2020 start date.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please include links to a portfolio, website or work samples when submitting your application.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the
- IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.