The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Assistant
Post Level: National Consultant
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Starting Date: 02-Nov-2020 (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 12 Months
- This position is in the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning. The incumbent will report to the Special Adviser, Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning and will be responsible for the provision of technical assistance in the areas of development cooperation; and performance management in the ministry.
- The consultant will support the technical team, supporting the establishment and implementation of a sustainable government owned and driven development aid management process in the ministry.
- The Technical Assistant will also support the Special Advisor in providing technical support relating to Development Partner cooperation; and results-based management and accountability.
- The overall objective of the Technical Assistant is to assist the Special Advisor -Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning in the provision of high-quality technical assistance and advice in the delivery of sustainable government and development aid management in the ministry; and in performance management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Technical Assistance Service:
- Provide technical assistance to the Special Advisor in development partner cooperation; and performance management.
- Initiate and provide technical guidance to the Special Advisor to oversee existing and future technical support to the Ministry.
- Initiate periodic technical reviews in close consultation with the Special Advisor and the relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies to provide advice on the effectiveness and efficacy of policies.
- Provide technical support to strengthen systems and structures that support the development and implementation of a national pro-poor development framework and sound public financial management.
- Facilitate the translation of policy intent and decisions of the senior officials in the identified areas into viable tasks, and projects to ensure their effective and timely implementation.
- Ensure that advice and information on cross-cutting issues is coordinated with all relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies and UN country team prior to submission of technical advice.
- Draw upon other country experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networks,
- to provide contributions towards effective technical services.
Monitoring and Implementation:
- Support the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning in ensuring proper conduct of processes and provide technical advice to facilitate implementation of activities relating to Development Partner cooperation and international development aid management.
- Provide technical assistance on strategy and risk-management in the implementation of critical projects under the Ministry.
- Provide technical assistance in other areas of national and ministry results-based management and accountability, as necessary.
Liaison and Government Relations:
- Provide technical support to the Special Advisor in the ministry in liaising with international partners and multi-lateral financial institutions, including the UN Country Team on the priorities of the ministry in close coordination and consultation with other relevant actors in Government to advance objectives of these priorities.
- Provide technical support to the ministry through liaising with other arms of government, Ministries, Departments and Agencies in close coordination with other principal leads at the ministry to ensure seamless coordination of work-flow processes between the different government entities and provide advice to fast-track the achievement of the goals of key sustainable development priorities of the ministry.
Strengthening Strategic Partnerships and Alliances:
- Assist the Special Advisor to facilitate engagement with Ministries, Departments and Agencies and Civil Society Organizations;
- Support the senior officials to engage, create and coordinate partnerships with bilateral and multilateral donors, UN Agencies, and International Financial Institutions;
- Support the ministry in ensuring appropriate linkages are made in order to draw upon other country experiences, lessons learnt and knowledge sharing to strengthen implementation of the mandate of the ministry.
- Partake in and contribute to high-level meetings, discussions and negotiations by the ministry on the establishment and implementation of sustainable government-owned and driven international development aid management processes. Review draft budget memos, reports, assessments and analysis as may be required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in one of the following disciplines: International Relations, Finance, Political Science, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Public Administration, Management, Law and related specialization in international development and planning.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in such areas as: international organizations, government, political, social, civil, or legal affairs; public or business administration; or management is required;
- A proven track record of leadership and management in multicultural settings, including coordination of interdisciplinary teams, is required;
- Experience in a senior managerial capacity, providing clear advice on complex organizational or bureaucratic issues to inform the decision making of high-level leadership is required;
- Experience in leading the implementation of strategic development frameworks, multi-donor development funds, stakeholder relationship management, inter-agency coordination and knowledge and familiarity in engagements with Governments and international partners are desirable.
- Advanced professional career in development planning and international relations at a senior level is preferred.
- Work experience with senior level government officials at the national or international level providing management and technical advisory services in international development, national planning and policy within a central finance and planning Ministry.
- Experience relevant to designing and implementing public sector financial assessments that improve government ministries’ budgetary effectiveness, transparency, and accountability is desirable.
- Experience with budgetary policies and practices, financial regulations and rules and with financial systems of enterprise resource planning (ERP) is required and Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) knowledge is also required.
- Ability to proactively seek and recommend sound policy initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer skills and knowledge to others.
- Good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural and diverse team
- Ability to produce high quality work under pressure of tight schedules and timelines
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Professionalism: Demonstrated ability to: provide advice in a broad range of strategic, policy, management and development issues to Governments, international organizations, and in other high-level leadership settings; lead integrated processes and ensuring the timely delivery of a programme of work. Track record of providing leadership in project monitoring and implementation, problem solving and continuous organizational improvement for effective programme delivery. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards, operates in compliance with organizational rules and regulations, supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his / her own shortcomings and those of work unit, where applicable.
- Judgement / Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Deadline: 23rd October, 2020 (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Interested Candidates should submit a technical and final proposal, with CV in one Document.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Leave a Reply