Fenix International is a next-generation energy company. Our mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Solar, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments starting under $0.17 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a unique credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans and open up a wider world of energy and financing for our customers.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Head of Mini-grid (Engie Energy Access)
Department: Access to Energy
Reporting line: Global Head of Mini-grids A2E
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is a leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities.
With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain a leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
- As part of the Access to Energy management team in Nigeria, and building on the Access to Energy platform support functions, the Head of Minigrids Nigeria will be responsible for the overall strategic planning and the operational, technical and sales related Engie Minigrid activity in Nigeria.
- Her/his main objectives will be to grow the business in a sustainable way by playing a key strategic role in identifying and pursuing minigrid business development opportunities in Nigeria; maintain an inspiring culture; develop a competent and motivated team within an efficient organization; and coordinate with other entities in the ENGIE Group.
- For the scope of minigrid developments in Nigeria, he/she will entertain external relations with the host government (e.g. Ministry of Energy, Finance, Environment, Chiefs and Traditional Affairs, Agriculture and Local Government), Cooperating partners, donors, local and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and institutions to strengthen working relationships with these entities and ensure overall success of the minigrid project.
- The Head of Minigrids Nigeria has overall P&L responsibility for the minigrid activities in Nigeria and will report in this responsibility to the global Head of Minigrids in A2E
- Oversee, lead, and direct programmatic, technical, operations, sales, business development and reporting of Minigrid activities in accordance with set targets.
Deliverables and Activities:
- As part of the Access to Energy management team in Nigeria, build and maintain a strong operational Minigrid team, in execution of duties, and in accomplishment of results; promote individual and team performance; create and maintain team spirit and morale in accordance with A2E culture.
- Maintain and reinforce an ambitious and professional Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) culture and management system
- Actively engage with national and international stakeholders with the purpose of, for instance, performing active policy advocacy at national level in order to create/maintain a conducive regulatory and business environment; creating synergies and setting up partnerships
- Assure adequate knowledge of applicable local laws (e.gregulatory frameworks, labor and tax) to ensure compliance with relevant laws, policies and rules.
- Resource Mobilization with various funding programs to drive Innovation and R&D for minigrid
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Business, Engineering or related field
- 5 years of work experience with at least two years of senior management or development and sales experience with demonstrated leadership qualities
- Demonstrated success in resource mobilization and leading complex projects proposals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required and ability to effectively communicate in local language(s).
- Ability to work with diverse multi-cultural setups
- Experience in new business development, and willingness/ability to engage on an ongoing basis in new business development as required to maintain a viable country portfolio.
- Experience working with Government, international, or non-governmental agencies, donor organizations, or other relevant entities.
- Experience in project management in an industrial and/or construction environment
- Financial management experience/knowledge is a plus
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required
- Ability to effectively communicate in at least 1 local language.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office products and basic IT knowledge required.
- Leadership and project management experience: we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to a particular project, team, or new company and we especially value candidates who have seen projects through from start to finish, from design to scale up phase
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun, fast-paced and high-growth work environment
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please submit your resume and cover letter through the above link
- In your cover letter, please be sure to highlight the following:
- Why you are interested in Fenix International, and
- What excites you about this particular role.
- We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.
- ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!