Chemonics International – We’re one of the world’s leading partners in international development, because where Chemonics works, development works. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners and beneficiaries take on the world’s toughest challenges. Today, we re-imagine global supply chains to deliver essential medicines to the right place at the right time. Our global network of more than 4,000 specialists share an unwavering resolve to work better, driven by a conviction that the world must be better.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security & Logistics Advisor
Job Type: Full Time
- We seek a Security & Logistics Advisor who will support project leadership and Chemonics’ security teams to mitigate risks to project personnel and assets in the fluid context of Nigeria
- This position will be responsible for coordinating the security and logistics for all staff working in the field
- This includes monitoring local security environments through established networks on the ground, arranging the security and logistics for all field travel, carrying out journey management responsibilities, and responding to any security incidents or emergencies.
- The Security & Logistics Advisor will at all times adhere to and act in accordance with Chemonics Professional Code of Ethics (“Living Our Values”) and will make the principles of the Code a part of the project’s culture and standard operating procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
As Security & Logistics Advisor, the employee is responsible for the following principal duties and responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain relationships with local law enforcement, security partners, and other points of contact to gather information on the security situation in relevant operating areas.
- Provide timely dissemination of security updates, alerts, and advisories to staff in the field and in the Abuja office, with a focus on proactively managing risk through information.
- Manage the security and logistics for staff travel, undertaking appropriate trip planning, recommending necessary security measures, and coordinating logistical arrangements.
- Support in the making travel arrangements when required and when the Admin Assistant / associates are not available or on leave.
- Provide facilitation required for hotel and accommodation reservations and other services such as car rentals to ensure the security and safety of logistics requests from staff and visitors are seamlessly and adequately catered for.
- Work closely with the Project Finance and Operations Director as well as the Chemonics International Country Security Director to assist in the management of the Chemonics security platform in Abuja and in regional locations, ensuring appropriate implementation of project security requirements while making recommendations for improvement where necessary according to assessed risks.
- Coordinate regular updates of key project security documentation including the project phone tree, emergency action plan, approved hotel/car hire lists, security risk assessments, and project assessment of safety and security.
- Lead the development and implementation of the journey management plan, including determining security and logistical requirements for travel, monitoring travel while underway, and coordinating various travel procedures.
- Serve as the first point of call in case of an incident or emergency and support the response of the project Incident Management Team through the provision of security information and other coordinating actions.
- Recommend and coordinate staff training programs such as regular briefings, security guidelines, communication procedures, travel precautions, and emergency procedures.
- Regularly travel to Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Jigawa, Kano, and Yobe States to provide direct support.
- Fosters and demonstrates a workplace inclusive of creating opportunity, serving others, building trust, innovation, and exceeding expectations.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
Location of Assignment:
- The location of the assignment in Abuja, Nigeria with intermittent travel throughout the country.
Required Skills and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and/or abilities needed to perform the principal duties:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher. Security certifications will be an added advantage.
- Experience coordinating logistical arrangements for staff is preferred.
- Strong contextual knowledge of the security environment in Nigeria, including the current threat environment, safe travel routes, key actors, and best practices for operational security.
- Well-connected with local authorities and NGOs operating in Nigeria, as well as possessing an ability to leverage network connections to promote the gathering of key security information.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience coordinating security, logistics, and/or related operational functions.
- Prior professional experience working in law enforcement or military coupled with private sector work experience is preferred.
- Experience working with international donor programs is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to produce security deliverables and documentation, such as security risk assessments, site assessments, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and briefing documents
- Ability to report to and coordinate with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Excellent ICT skills
- Excellent multitasking skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, Hausa, and any other local language is preferred.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online