United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief WASH
Job no: 537334
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
For Every Child, a Future
- In Nigeria, UNICEF works in a complex humanitarian and development setting to fulfill and protect children’s rights in partnership with government, civil society, children, and families. UNICEF Nigeria is one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices globally – click the link to learn more about UNICEF in Nigeria: https://www.unicef.org/nigeria/.
How can you make a difference?
- Under the overall guidance of the Representative/Deputy Representative, accountable for the development, design, planning, implementation, and management of the WASH programme within the country programme.
- As head of a section, direct, lead, and manage a group of professional and support staff to develop, manage, and administer the sectoral or inter-sectoral project/programme.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Managerial and technical leadership
- Strategic guidance in Programme development and planning
- Efficiency in programme management, monitoring, and quality control of results
- Advisory services and technical support
- Advocacy, networking, and partnership building
- Quality, timeliness, and predictability of humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Innovation, knowledge management, and capacity building
To qualify as an advocate for every child, you will have:
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields: Public Health, Social Sciences, Health and Hygiene Behavior Change Communication, Environmental or Public Health, Water Resource Management, or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are required.
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience in WASH-related programmes at the national and international levels in a mix set of country context (including humanitarian, fragile, developing)
- Proven ability to effectively lead a team to deliver results.
- HUMANITARIAN: Emergency field experience working in humanitarian situations, including deployment missions (with UN-Govt-INGO) is required. Experience working in multiple geographic regions is strongly desirable.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (2)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (3)
- Works Collaboratively with others (3)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (3)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (3)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (3)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (3)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (3)
- Analyzing (3)
- Applying technical expertise (3)
- Deciding and Initiating action (2).
Deadline: 2nd February, 2021. W. Central Africa Standard Time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.