Chemonics International – We’re one of the world’s leading partners in international development, because where Chemonics works, development works. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners and beneficiaries take on the world’s toughest challenges. Today, we re-imagine global supply chains to deliver essential medicines to the right place at the right time. Our global network of more than 4,000 specialists share an unwavering resolve to work better, driven by a conviction that the world must be better.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Human Resources and Operations
Scope of Work (SOW)
- This scope of work (SOW) sets forth the services to be provided by the Director Human Resources and Operations to SAII Associates Ltd/Gte, an associate company of Chemonics International Inc. in the implementation of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) in Nigeria.
- The purpose of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program–Procurement and Supply Management single award IDIQ contract is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities to prevent suffering, save lives, and create a brighter future for families around the world.
- The IDIQ has three task orders that directly support the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and USAID’s family planning and reproductive health program.
- GHSC-PSM provides health commodity procurement services and systems strengthening technical assistance that address all elements of a comprehensive supply chain.
- All three task orders are implemented in Nigeria.
- The Director Human Resources and Operations will be responsible for overseeing the GHSC-PSM Human Resources Management and Operations strategy.
- He/She will ensure, maintain and implement a thorough understanding of the project objectives, program and practices as well as ensure compliance with related policies and regulations.
- This individual will oversee high level HR, office logistics and administrative duties, consult with top management on strategic planning, analyze and improve organizational processes and work to improve quality, productivity and efficiency incorporating the values of both USAID and Chemonics.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
The Director Human Resources and Operations shall be responsible for the Human Resources and Operations department as follows:
- Provide strategic direction to the GHSC-PSM Human Resources team
- Lead full cycle recruitment process in compliance with established procedures and regulations including but not limited to creation of job descriptions and interview questions, shortlisting and pre-screening candidates as well as reference checks, and negotiating offers of employment
- Ensure new hires are provided with adequate training regarding the project, relevant Chemonics policies and are assimilated into Chemonics culture
- Oversee maintenance of timesheet records and ensure all timesheets are submitted on time with the correct approval
- Ensure proper management of personnel and recruitment files according to the requirements and ensure confidentiality and safety of the data
- Interpret and advise staff on Chemonics, USAID, and federal compliance policies and procedures and help to ensure a positive and thriving work environment for all staff
- Manage administration of benefits according to appropriate plans and labor laws requirements, bring any requirement changes or suggestions for improvement to supervisor’s notice.
- Ensure project compliance with local labor laws by conducting regular audits, and provide updates on local labor laws and HR best practices
- Lead disciplinary process ensuring all actions taken comply with local labor laws and Chemonics policies and loop in appropriate Home Office department if necessary
- Manage annual assessment process and ensure procedures are communicated and followed
- Work with employees and supervisors to prevent and/or resolve employee relations issues in coordination with Global HR and Office of Business Conduct (OBC). Investigate allegations of wrongdoing, i.e.: sexual harassment, harassment, fraud
- Ensure all HR management practices conform to the project’s and Chemonics’ policies, best practices, USAID rules and regulations, and the local labor laws
- Other duties as assigned
- Direct and monitor the program of the Office Operations team, driving business operations and cross-functional collaboration across all program non-technical areas
- Assist Deputy Country Director in the administration of office and residential lease agreement
- Maintain a deep rooted extensive professional network and relations with broad range of service providers of services associated with local travels by air, road as well as accommodation for the program in line with USAID regulations and Chemonics standards and values.
- Develop, implement and maintain office management policy in line with USAID regulations and Chemonics’ standards.
- Develop plans and budgets in light of internal work needs and operating units’ approved projects.
- Oversee analysis and evaluation of staffing requirements to fulfill business requirements including directing the evaluation of decisions to procure service, equipment and tools required for office administrative and operational efficiency.
- Direct office operations and procedures; superintending local and international staff travel and logistics; controlling correspondence; designing filing systems; reviewing and approving supply requisitions and managing clerical and sanitary functions
- Oversee the management of third-party service providers
- Direct and implement office plans and systems, layouts, and equipment, furniture and daily operational needs acquisition.
- To develop and direct strategies and approaches for maintaining office supplies, environmental sanitation and facilities management
- To direct and execute office policies by establishing standards and procedures; measuring results against standards; making necessary adjustments.
- To coordinate with senior management team in the achievement of the overall program objective.
- Other task as assigned by the Deputy Country Director Operations and Compliance
- The Director Human Resources and Operations will report directly to the Deputy Country Director Operations and Compliance.
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Personnel, Project Administration, Project Management or related field.
- Knowledgeable on Nigerian labor laws, personnel benefits and taxes required; ability to interpret local labor laws, previous experience interacting with labor counsel preferred
- Ability to exercise confidentiality and high levels of professionalism
- Strong communication and motivational skills
- Minimum of 10 years of experience leading HR and Administrative teams and at least 3-5 years of managing teams in operational areas for medium to large development projects and/or organizations.
- Experience working for an American NGO or company or USAID implementer in Nigeria highly preferred
- Exceptional organizational and leadership skills
- Demonstrated versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English required.
Working Conditions / Duration of Assignment
- This is a long-term position for the life of the contract based in Abuja, Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online