Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: External Facilitator – Medical Legal Report Training
Employment Type: Part-time
MdM’s Mission Context in Borno State
- MdM is an international non-governmental organization, whose mission is to treat the most vulnerable populations in crisis and exclusion situations around the world. Médecins du Monde (MdM) has been active in Nigeria since August 2016 in the fields of primary healthcare (PHC), nutrition, Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and mental health and psychosocial services (MHPSS). MdM aims to respond to the emergency situation caused by the violent armed conflict in the North-eastern part of Nigeria.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- MdM has been deeply concerned about providing Medical care (Clinical management of Rape) to survivors of sexual violence, targeting both IDPs and host community
- Médecins du Monde intends to organize a day training for its staff. This Medical reporting training has been slated to take place on Saturday 22nd of May 2021, in Maiduguri, Borno State.
The Facilitator is expected to improve and build capacities of the Medical staff. And should focus on the issues below:
- How to perform examination on adult and child survivors/victims of sexual violence for the purpose of gathering and preserving evidence for potential use in a criminal prosecution
- Provide support to health workers to document injuries and to collect other forms of medico-legal evidence
- How to prepare written medical report that will be used as evidence in court proceedings and also testifying to the findings in court.
- Prepare a staff to have confidencein order to defend their conclusions in the face of opposition from lawyers, the media and even the survivors/victims’ families in the court.
- Prepare the staff on data analysis and opinion formulation
- The Facilitator will employ a participatory approach and other learning methods such as group work, questioning, demonstration etc.
- Resident Doctor in Pathology/Consultant Pathology or related field
- 7- 10 years of Experience either anatomical or clinical pathology.
- Having 3 years of experience in approved medico-legal investigation
- Certification by National Board of Pathology in Nigeria
- Valid and active medical license in the country of practice.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent facilitation skills
- Fluency in English is required
- Must Base in Borno State.
Job Title: Nutrition Technical Advisor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Context of the Mission
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak).
Support the provision of Nutrition services in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC):
- Based on the Borno state context and in line with MdM overall strategy, implement and suggest adjustments to MdM strategy on Nutrition – under the overall supervision of the Health Services Quality Coordinator – in close collaboration with the Health Coordinator, Emergency Response Coordinator and the medical team based in general.
- Advise the clinic team (specific focus on OTP team) on ensuring the implementation of Nutrition related activities, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the Health Coordinator.
- Support the med team, through the Health services Quality Coordinator, to ensure smooth incorporation of Nutrition component with training and implementation / follow up of internal referral pathway;
- Ensure the quality of Outreach Therapeutic Program (nutrition) activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team, data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Identify needs of trainings (focus on nurses, OTP staff, community mobilisers), develop / review Nutrition training packages and ensure formal and on job / informal trainings to address identified gaps in capacity.
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for MdM Nutrition activities.
- Carry out and update a mapping of all actors responding to malnutrition and develop a strong network to foster information exchange and synergies.
- Lead on coordination with other actors to ensure safe referral for Nutrition patients to stabilisation centers.
- Actively participate to coordination efforts with Nutrition actors (ex: nutrition cluster).
- Support and follow-up the community mobilization activities in close collaboration with MdM team as well as other stakeholders (ex: community leaders …)
- In close collaboration with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the IEC Technical Advisors, define the sensitisation strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets…) and organize trainings for community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers.
- Ensure appropriate treatment protocols are followed at MCs and Health Facilities. This includes correct anthropometrical measurements and follow-up of the MUAC, Weight and Oedema ensuring accurate patient database management, admissions and exit criteria etc is respected.
Support the quality of nursing care being provided in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MoH PHCC):
- Oversee the quality of the paramedics’ activities: registration, nutritional screening, OTP dispensing dressings, injections, immunization (EPI), health education, etc.
- Support teams on the field to develop and implement proper hygiene and asepsis, including waste management.
- Support and monitor triage activities and patient’s flow.
- Participate to the development of IEC tools in close collaboration with Med Tech Advisor and IEC Advisor, under the management of Health Services Quality Co.
- Ensure direct care to patients when necessary
Human resource, capacity building / training:
- Supervise the Nurse Nutrition technical advisor deputy for the provision of on job technical support to clinic staff involved in the provision of nutrition services and supervision of quality of nursing cares in Damboa, Maiduguri and new operational sites.
- Identify the capacity building needs of MdM related to nutrition and nursing cares Organize and/or facilitate trainings on the response to Nutrition, in line with MdM training materials available.
- Support deputy in the provision of on-job training related to need identified;
- Work towards the nationalization of the position of Nutrition Technical Advisor through capacity building and continuous support of the identified staff
Communication & Advocacy:
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model for the response to nutrition in humanitarian settings.
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation:
- Make sure the nutrition data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that nutrition data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored;
- Make sure data collection system exists and is properly implemented for monitoring of nursing care;
- Share to health Services Quality Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to internal MdM meetings.
- Participate to the nutrition cluster meetings and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in nutrition.
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The Nutrition Technical Advisor is directly under the responsibility of Health services Quality Coordinator. S/he has functional links with others technical advisors, Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team.
Background of the candidate
- Sex indifferent Humanitarian experience Yes
- Nationality Nigerian Emergency experience Yes
- Coordination experience Yes
- English Fluent Computer skills Excellent excel skills
- French Added value Driving licence No
Skills and Experience Needed
- B.Sc in Nursing;
- At least 5years of professional experience as nutritionist or advisory function on emergency nutrition programming;
- At least 1 previous experience with an INGO is required (with MdM is an asset);
- Ability to provide quality training;
- Relevant qualifications in Emergency Nutrition, IYCF, screening and treatment of Severe Acute Malnutrition is required
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process
- Working Experience in insecure environments is an advantage
- Excellent English is mandatory (oral and written),
Required personal skills:
- Excellent organisational, training and coaching skills is required;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities, government authorities, INGO and UN agencies.
- Able to prioritize; Be flexible;
- Ability to work under stressful situation;
- Has a good team spirit;
- Able to work and live in specific security context.
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MdM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
Job Title: External Facilitator (Ultra Sound Scan Training)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Part-time
Scope of Ultrasound Scan
- Ultrasound imaging (sonography) uses high-frequency sound waves to view inside the body. Ultrasound imaging uses sound waves to produce pictures of the inside of the body.
- It is used to help diagnose the causes of pain, swelling and infection in the body’s internal organs and to examine a baby in pregnant women and the brain and hips in infants. It’s also used to help guide biopsies, diagnose heart conditions, and assess damage after a heart attack. Ultrasound is safe, noninvasive, and does not use ionizing radiation.
- But in our context we are going to use the ultra-sound machine only on the pregnant woman- to confirm viability of the fetus, gestation, fetal heart rate and any anomalies aligned to the fetus and on request with the medical supervisor.
Goal, Aim & Purpose of the Ultra-Sound-SRH Activities(MdM):
- It will help to reduce the rate of referral due to conditions that requires USS.
- It will help MDM to render a quality ANC services.
- It will improve the knowledge of the health care providers thereby undergoing training on the use of USS.
- Through the use of USS, it will drastically encourage women to come for ANC there by increasing the data rate.
- There will be high rate of healthy pregnancy and less obstetric emergency like ruptured ectopic pregnancy.
Ultrasound imaging is a medical tool that can help a physician evaluate, diagnose and treat medical conditions. Common ultrasound imaging procedures include:
- Abdominal ultrasound (to visualize abdominal tissues and organs)
- Bone sonometry (to assess bone fragility)
- Breast ultrasound (to visualize breast tissue)
- Doppler fetal heart rate monitors (to listen to the fetal heart beat)
- Doppler ultrasound (to visualize blood flow through a blood vessel, organs, or other structures)
- Echocardiogram (to view the heart)
- Fetal ultrasound (to view the fetus in pregnancy)
- Ultrasound-guided biopsies (to collect a sample of tissue)
- Ophthalmic ultrasound (to visualize ocular structures
Duties & Responsibilities of the Person in Charge
- Prepare the examination room and ultrasound equipment to conduct examinations.
- Recognize and record the appropriate anatomy and pathology using sonographic equipment
- Care properly for sonography equipment and report equipment failure
- Write reports based upon the scan results and completion
- Alert appropriate to Doctor any abnormalities that need immediate attention.
- Use the ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- Work independently or with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Display good work ethic and friendly and cheerful disposition.
- Maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality.
- Explain the ultrasound procedure to the patient in order to avoid confusion.
- Maintaining ultrasound equipment and sterilizing the room and the equipment.
Indication For Use:
- 1st consultation to check on foetus position: intra/extra uterine (ectopic) pregnancy.
- To Confirm intrauterine growth and activities.
- Any time if doubt on foetus heart beat through clinical exam: alive?
- Last trimester/consultation to check on foetus position: presentation (breech, transverse, etc); to check on foetus weight.
- Evaluation of foetal growth and gestational age.
- Evaluation of PROM and preterm labour.
- To evaluate suspected placenta Abruptio.
- To evaluate suspected foetal demise.
- Others include; vaginal bleeding, pelvic pain or ectopic pregnancy.( Criterial for Referral to secondary facility)
Qualifications, Desired & Preferred Characteristics
The Ultrasound Facilitator will be expected to:
- Hold an associate or Bachelor’s degree MBBS, and certificate available and have clinical experience during Education programme.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Assessment and analytical skills.
- Strong leadership, decision making and management skills.
- Ability to work in stressful situations.
- Problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills strong medical Background as well as thorough knowledge of Anatomy.
- Possess a valid practicing license and registered with the relevant board of council.
Duration for the Training
- 27 days practical on ultrasound training for 3 clinics in Maiduguri .Sequence 9 days training then Refresher training 6days bi-monthly Total of 4 batches
Deadline: 14th April, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a proposal for interest, maximum of 3 pages, indicating their competencies and experiences on similar activity, an estimated budget, as well as their availability to carry the mission (dates) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “External Facilitator Medical Legal Report ” as the subject of the email.