The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate – Nutrition SC6
Requisition ID: 141769
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
- Job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or Head of Field Office.
- The job holder will be responsible for the completion of a range of Nutrition specialized and/or standardized processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines and practices.
- Job holder is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff.
- He / she will work under the supervision the head of Nutrition Unit and should perform analyses policies, guidelines and reports to support consistency and smooth implementation of programmes/projects.
- The Job holder is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance.
- There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in health, nutrition or related discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience in implementation of Nutrition activities in North East Nigeria.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and in the main language (Kanuri / Hausa) used in the North East of Nigeria.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes within the specific area of work supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems within a specific technical area of responsibility.
- Oversee and/or review the work of other support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Ensure and / or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes, food security and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Provide specialized project management support to specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the specific technical area.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance.
Other Specific Job Requirements
- Provide support to entry of monthly distribution report in COMET.
- Prepare and submit FRNs and liaise with Supply chain to ensure timely delivery of food to CPs and government where appropriate.
- Participate in the analysis of proposals submitted to WFP by CPs and ensure that nutrition interventions and / or nutritional aspects; are in line with country strategies and implementation arrangements, and provide technical advice to ensure compliance with existing guidelines and standards;
- Assist the program manager in the management of WFP nutrition programmes in the in coordination with the government, the United Nations agencies of other stakeholders.
- Any other tasks requested.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Has a minimum of 3 years working experience in implementation of Nutrition activities in North East Nigeria.
- General Knowledge of WFP nutrition monitoring and reporting processess.
- Knowledge of the local language (Kanuri/Hausa) and socio-cultural context of the duty station
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian nationals (or residents with valid residence and work permits) are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 26th April, 2021.